School supplies splitting the list between boys and girls...

Okay at our school the kids get their general liat then at the bottom it splits a few items between the boys and girls. So this year it is girls bring baby wipes and a roll of paper towels boys bring 1 gallon zip-lick bags and 1 quart zip lock bags... Cost wise... are the boys not spending more? Why did they make it one paper item and one bag type per- gender?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:13 AM on Jul. 11, 2011 in

• Baby Wipes, $2. Roll of paper towels, $1.
    Bags, $1.50 each if I buy store brands or the name brand on sale.

I think they're pretty close to the same. And both can be bought at the dollar store for even less than that.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:17 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• No they only want zip-loc.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:18 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I'm sure they just didn't want to have everyone buy those things, so they divided it up to be half and half, and _tried_ to be fair.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:21 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Most stores have learned that zip lock is a back to school brand and they put them on sale. If the parents get them during the back to school sales they will spend about the same for boys and for girls. The reason why the schools request a certain brand is because the generics aren't always as good. I don't mind great value generic, but the dollar tree generic bags aren't worth anything and if you don't tell the parents a specific brand you never know what you are going to get.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:21 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• My thoughts are the school would be happy with whatever brand they get. As long as it has a zipper close.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 8:23 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I don't mind them asking for name brand bags I just think they split it weird... You can get wipes and paper towels at the dollar store (since they gave no specifications on those)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:23 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Oh! And I hope you are right and they go on sale!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:24 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• oh my school is snobby! lol. they ask for crayola only, fiskars only, elmer's only, they even only want Dixon brand yellow number 2 pencils...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:25 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• They ask for specific brands because they know from experience that those brands work/last/don't break. Our school splits some items either by gender or by classroom. They try to make it come out even price wise.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 10:24 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Asking for certain brands is not about being snobby it's about teachers knowing from experience what brands work well and are durable. If you shop the sales you can get the brand name items pretty cheap.
    Sillieguze

Answer by Sillieguze at 3:09 PM on Jul. 12, 2011