After school care

My dd will be in third grade this year. I am trying to figure out an after school care arrangement for this year. Last year she walked home with friends and stayed with a neighbor. This year she is not able to do that. I thought about posting on our HOA facebook page and seeing if I can find someone that way. I would really prefer not to use the schools after care program. Does anyone have any ideas? Another neighbor "watches" some of the other kids. Meaning they go to their house and she checks on them each day and they have to check with her before going outside to play. I am not comfortable with this though.

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 8:27 AM on Jul. 11, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Do you have a Y close by? Do you know any local teens? I had a college student watch my kids afterschool, I found her by posting on the jobs website of the local university.

Answer by missanc at 8:34 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• A lot of daycares do after school programs. My daughter takes the bus right from school to daycare, and they have a teacher from daycare meet them at the school for the ride. I think that's pretty awesome.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 8:51 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I would prefer not to do a daycare situation. I would like her to be home. When she was in daycare before she got left out of a lot of things going in the neighborhood with the kids. She constantly felt left out. All of the other kids just come home in the afternoon. Has anyone tried Care.com
    Shaken1976

Comment by Shaken1976 (original poster) at 8:54 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Maybe find a teen or college aged student to baby-sit? My brother and sister and I were all baby-sat from home by our grandmum and t teens my mum knew.
    nataliekateof2

Answer by nataliekateof2 at 11:00 PM on Jul. 11, 2011