How do you handle your nosy in-laws?

and tell them to stay home if you don't want them around without making your DH/SO mad?

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 8:31 AM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Relationships

• Good luck! Thankfully, my MIL lives a little farther away now, but when she lived in the same town as us (and the same county) she was at our house daily. When our youngest started school I would go drop the kids off and when I got back, there she was at our house waiting for me at least 3 days a week. It was horrible. It got to where I would stop coming home. I found errands to run and spent hours at the library. When she finally figured out I wasn't coming home first thing in the morning, she would wait and come over later. There were days when I would park a block down the street in a city parking lot and walk to our house so she didn't know I was home. I just couldn't deal with her day in and day out. I never figured out how to make her stay away, I just made myself stay away (or seem like I wasn't there). Not the best solution, but talking with her didn't work.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:39 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• In that case I don't think that it is possible. Dh would get mad no matter what but We like an hour and a half away from our inlaws and they rarely come over so I don't have to worry about that!
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 8:35 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Ugh ... ask them to always call before dropping in. And, when they call tell them "Oh, we were just stepping out" or just say you have an appointment to go to soon, sorry! A little white lie might save you some grief! I don't mind my family stopping by but sometimes I can't wait for them to go and they just seem to linger ....ugh.
    isismoon3

Answer by isismoon3 at 8:36 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• You can't without making him mad. You married your spouse and his family comes with it. My mil hates me and we avoid each other but I wouldn't keep my children or husband away from her. She knows to not say anything at all about me and she will keep her visits.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Jul. 11, 2011