Is this school supplies list pretty normal? Seems really BIG for 3rd grade!

1 ream copy paper
1 pack of multi colored construction paper
1 pack of Post-its (yellow only)
2 packs of wide rule notebook paper
4 composition notebooks (black and white only)
4 plain spiral notebooks
6 plain double pocket folders with brads (1 yellow, 1 green, 1 red, 1 blue and 2 orange)
50 yellow number 2 pencils (pre-sharpened)
2 box 24 count crayons (crayola only)
1 box 8 count wide markers (crayola only)
1 box 16 count colored pencils (crayola only)
4 thin tip low odor dry erase markers
2 yellow highlighters
2 pearl erasers (pink or white only)
2 bottles of Elmer's white school glue
4 Elmer's glue sticks
2 pack of clear tape
1 pair Fiskars blunt tip scissors
1 roll of paper towels
2 boxes of tissues
1 container of Clorox wipes
1 large containers of hand sanitizer
1 bottle of anti bacterial hand soap
1 box of zip-Loc bags (gallon or quart size)
1 basic function calculator
1 ruler
1 pencil box
1 back pack

I know none of this is expensive but DANG!!! I don't remember getting this much at our old school last year... I feel like this school provides NOTHING. I am surprised toilet paper isn't on the list!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:42 AM on Jul. 11, 2011 in

• The older the get, the more expensive--even public school--becomes. Last year, my 5th grader had a similar list. I'm dreading to see whats on the 6th grade list.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 8:43 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• That does seem like a long list. It also seems like you are providing some supplies for the teacher to use. I have never heard of a third grader needing dry erase markers. Also what is with specifying brands.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 8:44 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I have no idea what is up with the brand names! lol. Thank God those are the brands that go on major sale a the end of the summer. In fact I already got the crayons for .35 and the notebooks for .50 each.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:47 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Well, you nailed it - the school does provide nothing. Budget cuts have made it so that teachers don't get any allowance to purchase classroom items. Anything that you don't provide for your child comes out of the teacher's pocket. When I had my classroom I spent a few hundred dollars in supplies at back to school time for my classroom alone (not counting what I paid for my own kids' supplies). As for specific brands, it's because they work better. Crayola crayons last longer than Rose Art, they break less and they provide more true colors. Ziploc bags are stronger, Pearl erasers don't smudge or leave an eraser film, fiskars scissors really cut (some generics just tear the paper) and they are made to fit a kid's hand better.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:52 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Sadly, it seems pretty normal. And also sadly, a lot of that stuff isn't for your child. It's for the teacher (God bless them, they don't get enough money) and for other children who won't buy (either can't afford or parents just won't buy) the stuff. Back in the day, we just paid flat fee at the beginning of the year and that bought our supplies. We showed up with a new back pack and was ready to go. Those days are long gone!
    SouthernMama08

Answer by SouthernMama08 at 8:54 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• That's pretty much standard for third grade. I'm a kindergarten teacher and luckily my students don't need much. We've never given specific brands that they need. Crayola stuff can get expensive and parents need to save as much money as they can.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 9:03 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• well my DS isnt in school, but even thinking back on my brothers school list from 3 yrs ago I dont remember it being that long.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:04 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• oh and whats with the Crayola Only?? Other brands are somehow inferior?
    cassie_kellison

• yeah, that's about what they expect for our school district too. not as many pencils though lol....at least they're cheap
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:05 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I guess I'll be hitting up the end of season sales this year! Yikes!! I'm from Wisconsin and our public schools are going through huge budget cuts- I'd better get a leg up for when my kids start school next year...
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 9:11 AM on Jul. 11, 2011