How do I just stop eating when I'm full??

Ok this doesn't happen all the time but enough that I am curious about it. I will eat dinner and be totally full and then an hour or two I'm hungry again. So I have a snack. And then half an hour later, hungry again. This will go on for a few hours until I finally am just sick of eating and tell myself to stop. I don't think i'm actually even hungry, just bored? What do you do to stave off hunger or trick yourself into thinking you aren't hungry anymore?

Pooke626

Asked by Pooke626 at 8:53 AM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• We often mistake thirst for hunger. If you find yourself hungry soon after eating, try a glass of water then wait 20-30 minutes. Also, are you eating a lot of processed foods or refined/enriched carbs? Your body processes those very quickly, which can soon leave you hungry. You need to add more fruits, veggies and whole grains to your diet. Make sure you're getting some protein in at each meal as well- that doesn't always have to be meat or a meat product. Beans, nuts and seeds are great sources of proteins, nuts and seeds have healthy fats (but are high in calories, so don't overindulge). Small frequent meals can definitely make a difference-aim for every 3 hours or so. That should be about 5 meals. You can do 3 regular meals and two snack, as long as you aren't starving by your next meal. Pay attention to proper portion sizes, and slow down while you eat. Keep busy to avoid eating out of boredom. Good luck!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:43 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I wonder if you may not be eating enough protein? Protein is what makes you feel full longer. There is also the possibility that you eat for comfort. If that's the case, the best thing to do is to look for other ways to comfort yourself.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:56 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Try to eat smaller meals, just a few hours apart. Not too much all at once (it will stretch your stomach out) and make you hungry more and more!
    isismoon3

Answer by isismoon3 at 8:55 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Eat more slowly. Research has shown that it takes about 10-20 minutes for your stomach to tell your brain it is full. So if you keep eating up until you "feel" full, you are actually eating past the time you are actually full.

http://longevity.about.com/od/lifelongnutrition/a/eat_slow.htm
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:59 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• what are you eating that could be the first clue? if you are doing carbs then yeah you will be hungry faster. vegtables keep you full, higher fiber foods keep you fuller. actually there is nothing wrong with having little snacks in between meals but the type of snacks make a world of difference. have an apple or banana or even a yogurt with granola that can help curve your appetite. if you are bored what you could do is do something that will occupy both hands. reading, you can hide a book in yor cabinets. kniting, crocheting. i scrapbook. go for a walk. i don;t know how old your children are you can play with them to keep your mind off of food. good luck.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 9:03 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• go ahead and munch, just do it with healthier options.. have a smaller meal, then munch of celery, carrots, fruits, etc.. throughout the day.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:26 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Could be what you are eating. Carb filled meals or overly processed meals will leave you hungry just a couple hours later.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Drink a glass of water - sometimes thirst will seem like hunger. So, drink a big glass, wait 10 minutes, and if you're still actually hungry, eat an apple or some carrots or something.
    Anonymous

• Drink water, grab a piece of gum, brush your teeth... and get away from the food. Out of sight does tend to be out of mind.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 2:50 PM on Jul. 11, 2011