Calf muscle spasm question-Do you have any special ways of dealing with the pain?

We were on vacation this week about 3 hours from home. The morning it was time to drive home, I woke up with a severe muscle spasm in my calf. Thank God it was my left leg and not my right, so I could still drive. My husband was riding the motorcycle, and I was in the car with our 15 month old son. We stopped at every rest area (about 1/2 an hour apart) so I could stretch, but it didn't seem to help an awful lot.
I had trouble sleeping last night because of the pain, and when I got up it was as bad as it had been when I did it in the first place.
Do you moms have any tricks for easing the pain? Hot water bottle? Taking a walk? I could really use some help with this one....Btw, 8 mos. pregnant and getting out of breath easily. I've also had a few fainting spells, so long walks are out, but a short one I could manage....Thanks!!

alphamom26

Asked by alphamom26 at 9:11 AM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Alternate heat & ice. Try to stretch and massage with icy hot or "Biofreeze"!!!
    isismoon3

Answer by isismoon3 at 9:14 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• well, my grandmother used to get those cramps frequently and the dr. told her to increase potassium to prevent them. she ate a bananna a day and they were dramatically reduced in frequency. other than that the best way to get rid of them is to walk them out.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:16 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• What princessbeth79 said! Other foods high in potassium are: Meats, Apricots, Avocado, Melons, Kiwi, Lima beans, Milk, Oranges and orange juice, Potatoes, Prunes, Spinach, Tomatoes, Vegetable juice, and Winter squash

For heat I filled a clean tube-sock with rice to stick in the microwave for 30 to 60 seconds (tie it in a knot). Better than an electric heating pad!
    1bluemonkey

Answer by 1bluemonkey at 9:25 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Walk them out.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 9:22 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Stay hydrated and increase potassium intake.
    kbakeman

Answer by kbakeman at 9:53 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• banannas! eat them befor eyou get one in the evening. also when you have a spamism point your toes straight out away from you and then point them toward you dont bend your leg just your foot and it will make it hurt less and pass quicker. but really eat banannas or get some other way of potassium in your system
    bamamommy2009

Answer by bamamommy2009 at 4:03 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• When I get cramps in my calf I have to get up and stand on it with all my weight. So hold onto something and stand on the leg with the spasm/cramp. That always takes mine away. That is also a sign of low potassium I would eat a banana or two.
    gibsongirl017

Answer by gibsongirl017 at 1:28 PM on Jul. 12, 2011