A good way to re-establish good credit?

I haven't used credit cards in years!! I want to increase my credit score, what can I do to gain a better score when I don't have any revolving credit! I don't have BAD credit but not enough credit history to get a good card without tons of fees. Anywhere I can go to get something going to increase my credit?? That will approve me with little credit history?

isismoon3

Asked by isismoon3 at 9:22 AM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Money & Work

Level 66 (1,275,470 Credits)
  • Also, accept that good credit is something you have to earn, and sometimes ou have to pay your dues (and fees). Get a secured card, establish a year's worth of good payment history, and you'll be able to move up to an unsecured card.

www.creditkarma.com is a great FREE place to keep an eye on your credit score, and they also have targeted offers with a probability score so that your credit doesn't take dings when you're applying for multiple cards. Good luck!
    EgoTryptophan

Answer by EgoTryptophan at 9:31 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I've heard Capital One offers a good secured card. I think you have to put like $50 down and you'll get a credit limit of $200 or something.
    Y.B.normal

Answer by Y.B.normal at 9:24 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Store charges. Like Kohl's. They usually don't require much in order to get a card. If you had a couple of those and took good care of them, it might be all you would need.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:25 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I highly suggest going to your banking institution. I know others that went that route and had no problems and no fee's.
    mommy2each

Answer by mommy2each at 10:22 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Secure credit card.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 9:23 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I had to rebuild mine. I began with a Kmart credit card with the limit of only $500. You could try sears or Walmart too. They both have small limit cards to get started.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:30 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• NannyB's suggestion of Kohls for a store card is a good store to pick (if you shop there at all) because they let you pay your card off RIGHT THERE. Like, you go through the line, pay your order on your Kohls card, then before the next person even goes you make a payment on your Kohls card right at the register for the amount you just charged.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 5:43 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I agree with mommy2each's answer.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:17 PM on Jul. 12, 2011