Diaper Rash...

Okay, my 11 month old has a rash. Its all over her vaginal area and then extending towards the back. Just swollen and red, not dots, so I am thinking not a yeast infection. She has pooped A LOT more lately since eating more solids and introducing newer foods. I hope this is a good method to deal with this, as it is her first real diaper rash and first one I have ever dealt with...1. Don't wipe her. 2. Rinse her in bathtub every few hours and change often 3. Let air dry 4. Put loose fitting diaper on

Is this a good plan or do I need to buy one of those creams? My mom used to put Vaseline on me when I was younger and I'd get heat rash, but I am thinking that wouldn't be too good of an idea with her, because it keeps her wet down there.

Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• sounds good try a +d ointment. Call her doctor before you try ointments tho
    B00boo

Answer by B00boo at 9:35 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• How long should I wait to call her dr? Should I try to get it to go away today on my own with method above?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:37 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I use vaseline too. Once you dry her if you put the vaseline on it keeps a layer of moisture away from her. My boys were really sensative to creams and I couldn't use them. Always wipe her you have to get the urine off as that will break down her skin. Use baths often and let her air dry. Put a coat of vaseline to protect her from the urine and feces.
    Quinn525

Answer by Quinn525 at 9:49 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Baths with baking soda are great for diaper rash. Also, Aquaphor is much better than any of the diaper ointments on the market.

Answer by missanc at 10:03 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• My doc told me A & D original is the way to go and I have found it works wonders on my son. I would ask her doc first to make sure though.

SweetOrangeMama

Answer by SweetOrangeMama at 10:41 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• get a doctor special cream ,the redness and rash go fast the same day.
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 11:03 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I would call the doc, but what you are doing right now sounds good. no wipes and air dry. my daughter had some rash problems recently from her loose stools, they prescribed some type of ointment that was grainy..but it worked wonders :)
    brit0813

Answer by brit0813 at 12:30 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• That sounds a good plan. I'd only add that you can wipe her with water and cotton wool and pat her dry with a terry towel if you haven't time to bath her. Take water with you in your changing bag (diaper bag?) by putting it in a plastic drinking bottle. Cut a large bath towel into several pieces and take one of those out with you. All the best. It's just horrible when they get nasty rashes. x
    Womamhood

Answer by Womamhood at 1:10 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Call your doc, He can prescribe stuff that will work wonders for her! My friends daughter had the same issue and the cream she got prescribed worked great. Only kind she will use again.
    Proudnewmommy11

Answer by Proudnewmommy11 at 1:34 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Call ur doc to see what you should use. i used a and d ointment. desitin made it worse
    B00boo

Answer by B00boo at 8:17 AM on Jul. 14, 2011