My neigbors smoke in their townhome but you can smell it in mine...should I complain?

We live in a town home, our neighbors smoke like freight trians in their home but the smell comes through to mine. Its especailly bad in the laundry room. I have to make sure to get the clean clothes out of there as soon as they are done or they end up smelling like smoke. Also, i'm allergic to it as well as my daughter, so its causing us both to be miserible. Should I complain to the office about this?

abbynzachsmommy

Asked by abbynzachsmommy at 11:16 AM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Health

• i would.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 11:18 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• i definatley would. how annoying that must be. i hate it when i go to my moms house for just a couple hours and when i leave my stuff smells like smoke
    ClvDandJ

Answer by ClvDandJ at 11:23 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Hmmmmmm . . . . . .. . good question. We have had that problem periodically in our building but never to the extent you are experiencing.

I say yes, go ahead and complain and then let it go. If there is something the office can do, they'll do it. If there is nothing they can do, at least you'll know that.
    proud2Bmomma

Answer by proud2Bmomma at 11:24 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I would ask if there's anything the management can do in terms of increasing ventilation or checking on insulation. I wouldn't ask them to ask your neighbors to change their smoking habits. As yucky as it is for you to live around and smell all the time, they obviously have the right to smoke in their own home. Good luck!

rach2000

Answer by rach2000 at 11:34 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I live in a town home myself and I own my house just like my neighbors, There are things that my neighbors do in their home that I do not like, but yet it is not my place to tell them what they can and cannot do it is their home. I am sure their are things they dont like about us too. Being a smoker myself you can try and talk to them about it, but i doubt you will change their smoking habits. If my neighbors told me to stop smoking in my house (which i do not do) i would be very irritated because it is MY home not theirs. Good luck.
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 11:52 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• i would! i wouldnt say it to them but they have no right to effect you in your home, you shouldnt have to rush laundy out, they should show respect for you, bet they dont even know, let the manager deal with them. really smokers have no rights anymore and you should be able to live in a non stinky environment. sucks for them that the walls are thin but they should fix it or move them.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:14 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I have the exact same problem and have complained many many times and it does no good. I have even told the people themselves that everytime they go outside to smoke it blows into my house. I even told her I have a special needs child and I am allergic to cigarettes and they don't care. IDK what to tell you, but I am going to buy those smokeless ash trays that suck up the smoke and give it to them for Christmas!!!
    goinginsane1

Answer by goinginsane1 at 12:18 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Please don't take this the wrong way: I see why it would bother you however if your child cry all the time and kept them up all the time, you would not like it if they did that! For anyone reading this don't start telling how smoking is bad because I know! I am a non-smoker, my husband is a smoker and my grandfather die from lung cancer 10 months ago! You have the right to do what you want to do in your own home! Maybe you should talk to them about it! Don't tell them to stop because then they will prob. smoke more! Good luck!
    porterjoshua06

Answer by porterjoshua06 at 2:00 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• The thing that would bother me the most is the whole laundry room issue because the chemicals in the second hand smoke can absorb into your clothes. I wonder if there is something that can be done specifically about that. Smoking is allowed in our building (I think you have to pay a larger deposit) but there is a sign up in the laundry room specifying no smoking in there. But if the smoke is just wafting from their unit into the laundry room, I don't know if there is anything that can be done about.
    proud2Bmomma

Answer by proud2Bmomma at 6:47 PM on Dec. 17, 2008