my 9 month old daughter is already spoiled , i need help!

I live in a tiny studio apartment and it seems my daughter is getting to used to me letting her crawl everywhere and climb on everything. She wont go in a playpen at all she just screams, she tries to grab the laptop and when i take it away she'll cry until she turns red. when i put her down in her crib at night she screams then when i go to pick her up she starts laughing at me so i know there isn't anything wrong with her she just wants to be picked up. what can i do to break these habits? letting her cry it out just seems to make her more upset...

SophiaFaithMama

Asked by SophiaFaithMama at 11:17 AM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• oh she is not spoiled dear she is testing you .
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 11:20 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• You can't spoil a baby. Try to redirect her when she is playing with something you don't want her to. As far as the playpen goes, most babies don't like them especially at that age. They just want to get out and explore their world. Think about it would you like to be locked up in a little box in a museum? So much to look at but you can't because you are in a box. No fun if you ask me!
    FionaS

Answer by FionaS at 11:28 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I agree with Fiona - she is too young to spoil. Babies cannot separate "wants" from "needs." This is why you use distraction at this age, rather than discipline. My daughter always hated her playpen, too. I finally put it in the basement by the washing machine, and only used it when I had to do laundry (because she cried if I left her alone on the main floor). Please don't worry that you are spoiling her. Once she is about 18 months old, you can start to tell her which things are off-limits, but still don't expect her to have much self-control, and make the reminders (there wil be many!) gentle. My "baby" is now 8, and has lovely manners. I get compliments all the time about how well-behaved my kids are. You just have to wait on the discipline until they are old enough to understand and control their own actions. Good luck!
    yarnjunkie

Answer by yarnjunkie at 11:34 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• You can Spoil a baby, i have spoiled all of my 5 boys since they where young but without meaning to i just wanted to give them everything i did'nt have. And yes i admit they are all spoiled to pieces but know right from wrong and have very good manners, so you can spoil a baby but they don't always grow up like my boys have.

My 2nd cousin was born when i was 10 and i can remember by 5 she was spoilt as you can imagine, she was an only child and her nans and auntie's etc spoilt her rotten.
    Mummytomore

Answer by Mummytomore at 11:51 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• But it is probably her testing you.
    Mummytomore

Answer by Mummytomore at 11:52 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• My son is 6 months old and gets upset when I take something away from him that he shouldn't have. I simply say, "No." and give him something that is okay for him. He cries for a few second but I ignore it and he continues playing with the new object. I think you have to just stick to your guns and be stern, not mean.
    k.alexander

Answer by k.alexander at 12:09 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• my daughters 8 months she does the same thing, i let her cry it out if she starts screaming in her bed i stand outside of it but dont pick her up till she stops then i lay her back down it broke the screaming at night for no reason after a few nights she stoped now she lays and kicks her feet till she falls asleep, she also nows at 5:30 it's sleep in mommy and daddy's been like clock work feeding time then she cuddles up inbetween us and sleeps for an hour with us
    MonicaGreer21

Answer by MonicaGreer21 at 12:09 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• We started scolding my son when he touches things he can't have. I say no, if he still touches it I pick him up and move him across the room to something else. Sometimes he screams but he forgets about it in a few seconds. The key is just be consistent, kids are learning so much right now, they need to clearly understand what they can and can't do. My son is a year old and we just put the tree up, he tried to grab it once, I said NO. He looked at me and walked away, he hasn't gone towards it since!
    sidzwif

Answer by sidzwif at 1:15 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• As far as the play pen thing goes, most kids don't like being confined once they have had freedom! Try turning a baby einstein dvd on when you put her in the playpen, they are excellent educatinal movies! Sleeping the same, consistancy. Feed, bath, and put her to sleep at the same time every night. After about a week she will be used to it. If she starts crying, don't pick her up. Instead lay her back down, give her a paci if she takes one and cover her back up. Don't talk, play or turn the lights on. She needs to start learning that sleep time is not play time.
    sidzwif

Answer by sidzwif at 1:16 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Let her cry it out, it won't hurt her! She is crying like that because she know that you will break down and come and get her! Let her cry it out 3 or 4 time and she will stop it! My 6 month old cry for like 15 mins before he fell asleep the first time, now I put him in his bed and he cry maybe a min or 2 if even that long!
    porterjoshua06

Answer by porterjoshua06 at 1:48 PM on Dec. 17, 2008