Why is it people post medical questions here without doing ANY previous research?

Last time I checked, this was not cafemom-MD.

I can completely understand asking a question such as "I've done some research, here's what I found, has anyone else found the same?"

But "Am I pregnant?", "Should I have this operation?", "What are the medical alternatives...." just boggle my mind.

Am I just being Grinchly?

Wimsey

Asked by Wimsey at 11:21 AM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Health

• your being grinchly. lol i posted a couple questions the past couple days about my daughter being sick i knew what i wanted to do but thought maybe i was being a bit paranoid so i wanted some other opinions. i mean i still did what i wanted to do lol but other opinions help every now and then now put christmas back and quit being grinchly lol
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 11:24 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• slightly grinchly... but we're all like that about some kinds of questions on here.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 11:29 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I guess I think that if you are savvy enough to use CafeMom, you can certainly Google some information as well - and then ask an educated question.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 11:31 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I agree.

If you've googled your question and can't come to a conclusive answer, I see nothing wrong with asking about it here. But to just come here out of nowhere without doing prior research...O.o

I usually can find the answer to their question with a simple google search. Usually within the first five results. It's like...really. You couldn't do that? *sigh*

I'm a grinch as well, sue me =oD
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:34 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Grinchly!!! alot of the resharch you find on google or whatnot is a crock ANYONE can write a page on any disese or condition or whatever and potrey themselves to be a DR!! Anyway people come on here and ask those questions because they get REAL answers from REAL people who might have went through the same thing or something similar!! Some people have no medical insurence and want some advice before running to the DR over nothing!! No we are not MD's but we do have kids and we have went through pregnancies and we have all had differnet illnesses that we can give some advice on!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 11:39 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• CONT.....Im sorry but I am a women that will have 4 kids next month and I know that Id rather go with my own intuition on some things then listen to my Dr who is a man who only read about birthing a child in a book!! Yes i respect him and yes he is a very good Dr but the truth is he doesnt know what im going through or what i feel like!! anyway thats just my opinion!!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 11:40 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I would rather have someone that experienced the same thing as me be able to tell me their experience.

I do however HATE HATE HATE the "am I pregnant" question!! Take a piss on the keyboard, so I can tell you... BLAH
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 11:42 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• The Am I Pregnant ones are pretty much the ones I wish people would google first. There's so many good sources to find out about pregnancy first other than coming here and asking us.

We're all so sick of that question that most of us are bitches when we answer, if we answer at all. If they would take two seconds to google it and find info from BabyCenter or Parenting.com, they might be spared from the wrath of the CafeMom Answerers =]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:05 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• You can get as many "opinions' as you like off here but it doesn't and shouldn't be a substitue for real medical advice from a real live doctor. You can just tell by some of the questions that some of them do absolutly no research on their own but instread come here & ask a bunch of ppl who may or may not give out some helpful advice. I have seen some advice on here that was just plain wrong and boarderlined on dangerous actually. And some ppl who ask here &get answers may do just what they read instead of finding out for real if its a safe thing to do. Not everyone is smart. Sad but true.
    Anonymous

• Yeah you're grinchy, but most of the human race is just lazy.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 1:18 PM on Dec. 17, 2008