Redefining rape, woo hoo...republicans rock...what do you THINK of THIS?

In a 251 to 175 vote this evening, 16 anti-choice Democrats joined every House Republican present in passing H.R. 3, the No Taxpayer Funding For Abortion Act. A chief weapon in the House GOP’s “comprehensive assault” on women this bill proposes some of the most radical and draconian restrictions on women’s rights. They include:

– Redefinition Of Rape: The bill sponsor Rep. Chris Smith (R-NJ) faced serious backlash after he tried to narrow the definition rape to “forcible rape.” By narrowing the rape and incest exception in the Hyde Amendment, Smith sought to prevent the following situations from consideration: Women who say no but do not physically fight off the perpetrator, women who are drugged or verbally threatened and raped, and minors impregnated by adults.

Smith promised to remove the language and while it is not technically in the bill, Mother Jones reports that House Republicans used “a sly legislative maneuver” to insert a “backdoor reintroduction” of redefinition language. Essentially, if the bill is challenged in court, judges will look at the congressional committee report to determine intent. The committee report for H.R. 3 says the bill will “not allow the Federal Government to subsidize abortions in cases of statutory rape” — thus excluding statutory rape-related abortions from Medicaid coverage.

– Tax Increase On Women And Small Businesses: H.R. 3 prevents women from using “itemized medical deductions, certain tax-advantaged health care accounts or tax credits included in last year’s health care law to pay for abortions or for health insurance plans that cover abortion.” In doing so, the bill forces women and small businesses that provide health insurance that covers abortion to pay more in taxes than they would otherwise. Both economic conservative Grover Norquist and the South Carolina Chamber of Commerce noted that the bill is basically a tax increase.

– Rape Audits: Because H.R. 3 bans using tax credits or deductions to pay for abortions or insurance, a woman who used such a benefit would have to prove, if audited, that her abortion “fell under the rape/incest/life-of-the-mother exception, or that the health insurance she had purchased did not cover abortions.” Essentially, the bill turns Internal Revenue Service agents into “abortion cops” who would force women to give “contemporaneous written documentation” that it was “incest, or rape, or [her] life was in danger” that compelled an abortion.

– Bans D.C.-Funded Abortions: The most recent spending resolution contained a ban on abortions in the District of Columbia by redefining the D.C. local government as the federal government. Thus, health clinics in D.C. are banned from using public funds from D.C. taxpayers to provide abortion services. H.R. 3 “would enshrine the District ban into federal law.” According to the Office of Management and Budget office, such a restriction violates “home rule.”

Despite receiving nearly 135,000 signatures in opposition to the bill, Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) and the House Republicans leveled a serious blow on American women and their right to choose. Some Republicans even suggested holding the debt ceiling increase hostage over the passage of H.R. 3. The bill, however, is unlikely to pass as a standalone in the Democratic-led Senate. President Obama has also threatened to veto the bill.

As my friend Lee said this morning: If you’re a woman and you vote Republican… you’re not paying attention. I echo that, and add, if you’re an American, and you vote Republican, you’re not paying attention. {Article from thinkprogress.org}

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2011/05/05/house-gop-unanimously-passes-anti-abortion-bill-that-redefines-rape-raises-taxes-and-creates-rape-audits/

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 10:30 AM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Wow! that's all I can`say. I really don't understand why women who are raped don't take the plan b pill, just so nothing does happen, then there would be no need for abortion. IDK.. Just seems like the smart thing to do...
    something_

Answer by something_ at 10:43 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I've seen this before. It's a classic example of the "I care about rights...when they're mine" ideal. I cannot even begin to explain how angry this kind of thing makes me. And people think we've come so far in the world of gender equality.........

And as an aside, in response to your last statement, ANY uneducated voter gets on my nerves.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:54 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• And what makes me even more angry is the fact that their ploy will probably work. "Oh, well if THAT language was so offensive...we'll just re-word it a little. Now everybody's happy!" It takes people's attention off of the real issue BEHIND the words. It's sickening.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:56 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

•  

I've seen this before. It's a classic example of the "I care about rights...when they're mine" ideal. I cannot even begin to explain how angry this kind of thing makes me. And people think we've come so far in the world of gender equality.........

That quote isn't me talking, it was part of the article...but I do agree with it

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 10:56 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• why women who are raped don't take the plan b pill..... i imagine that they may be a state of shock and denail, can take a while to process what has happened
    it took me months to say the word rape, for months i would say the words.. he forced me, - i could not even say the word rape

the reason i am pro choice until there is no women that has to prove they were raped to get an abortion
    when there is ZERO rape, then i will rethink my stand on pro choice, i am not pro abortion, i am pro women, and fact is that women get raped, and some will get pregnant by this act of violence, some who get raped will go into a shell and not be able to process what happened to them and unable to think enough to get the idea of Plan B in time needed

plan B is the smart thing to do=yes
    but
    mind is not working after being raped, everything shuts down
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:59 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• If you are drugged you may not even know you were raped until you are already pregnant.
    Quinn525

Answer by Quinn525 at 11:02 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I really don't understand why women who are raped don't take the plan b pill, just so nothing does happen, then there would be no need for abortion. IDK.. Just seems like the smart thing to do...

Really? When a woman is raped, they aren't always thinking of a trip to the drug store to pick up a pill in hopes that they aren't already pregnant. And what if that woman had sex with her SO a week before because they were trying to get pregnant and was raped? Some women don't even report it because of the attitudes of others, because they feel dirty, ashamed, etc. Yes, Plan B is a good thing but not every woman thinks of it after being raped. And what about the TEENS that are under 17 and need parental permission? They may be too embarrassed to tell their parents. Or the case of incest or molestation where the CHILD waits to tell the parents until it's too late for Plan B? The government needs to stay out of females lives.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:10 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Smith promised to remove the language and while it is not technically in the bill, Mother Jones reports that House Republicans used “a sly legislative maneuver” to insert a “backdoor reintroduction” of redefinition language. Essentially, if the bill is challenged in court, judges will look at the congressional committee report to determine intent. The committee report for H.R. 3 says the bill will “not allow the Federal Government to subsidize abortions in cases of statutory rape” — thus excluding statutory rape-related abortions from Medicaid coverage.

When we say Dems are backdooring something people like you tell us we are nuts. And seriously Mother Jones.lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• its crap like this (and it happens from both sides) that has gotten us into the situation were in...making social issues more important than our economy. im more upset about this being talked about period while there are more important things going on (like not having a budget). dont the House Republicans (and Democrats too) have anything better to do than worry about making a rape even harder on an innocent woman by making her have the baby her rapist forced on her b/c the rapist thought to drug her? its crap like this that makes me all for voting every single one of them out for good!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:33 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Wow I hope none of these Ivory Tower politicans, Democrat and Republican, never have to deal with one of their close family members being raped and it not fitting THEIR cookie cutter description of what is rape. I was a SAVI (now SAPR) advocate when I was in the military and the things these women and sometimes men go through is horrible. I've been in exam rooms, I've heard stories about spousal rape where the woman's husband and his friend raped her repeatedly..Also I am going to think that after endearing a traumatic experience like rape, a woman is not always thinking of dashing to the local Walgreens to get a Plan B. If it's not consensual, then it's rape. It doesn't matter if the woman did not fight off her attacker. Most of the time she is too scared to fight back..

Ugh. I hate politicians. I really do. Party affiliation be damned. I hate politicians. That's my bipartisan look. I hate them both equally.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:36 AM on Jul. 11, 2011