I am breastfeeding my 3 month old son

When I ate some watermelon he got the terrible runs not sure why but has anyone else experienced this? Certain fruits I eat he gets fussy and the runs to where it comes out of his diaper and up his back... He's never had formula just breastmilk....

Sarah W.

Asked by Sarah W. at 10:46 AM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Food & Drink

• It is possible for him to be sensitive to something you eat. Generally it is acidy or 'rich' foods or even dairy in general. Fruit kind of surprises me but I guess it could be the fructose. My DD was fructose intolerant as an infant on table food. I don't know if fructose crosses over though.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:48 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Certain foods will do that! When it happens & you know for sure what you ate caused it, just cut it out of your diet until he's either older or you're no longer breastfeeding. I know it's easier said than done cutting foods out, but it will benefit both of you!
    something_

Answer by something_ at 10:50 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I understand that certian foods can bother your baby. With that said my ped at the time told me to eat what I want. She said that if you change your diet it will make you crazy. If you like something eat it but do over do it. Check with your ped can get their opinion. Your baby could also just be having a touch of a bug. When in doubt call your Ped.
    Amr515

Answer by Amr515 at 10:57 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Food reactions aside, it is very normal for a bf baby to have the runs and a blowout, the breastmilk keeps it that way, and it is a good thing.
    Blowouts could really be a pain though!
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 11:26 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• He normally doesn't have blow outs though so it really surprised me that the watermelon did that to him. I ate it while I was pregnant and it was never an issue but I've cut alot out of my diet as in mexican foods, soda, sweets, some veggies as in brocolli and cauliflower as he was too gassy while I ate them. I can't eat too much yogurt either because again he has the runs and gets way too cranky. Every time I ate the watermelon he was cranky, fussy, and had the poops more than once and the other day watermelon was the only thing I ate so I know it was that. This is my 3rd kid but my first time Breastfeeding so this is all new to us. What are u not allowed to eat/drink?
    Sarah W.

Comment by Sarah W. (original poster) at 11:55 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Unless he is having a serious allergic reaction to something then there is really no need to eliminate it from your diet. That being said watermelon when eaten in excess will do that to most adults so it most definitely could have caused it in him. If sounds like he is having some digestion issues so it is a very good thing you decided to breastfeed since it would likely be worse on formula. Just keep a food diary and his reactions and then decide what you want to limit or eliminate in your diet based on that. You will also just know that if you do break down and eat something you should expect fussiness.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:13 PM on Jul. 11, 2011