Any ideas to help my DD2 not cry when I put her to sleep?

My DD2 used to sleep in her bed every night from 8pm to 7am (5 am during the week).
She has a blankie, which rotates, and a bunny, (and other stuffed animals to choose from). When I got laid off, I spent more time with her at home until. I found a new job. We had a 10 day vacation trip to PR, we stayed at my mom's house and she slept on my bed (no other bed to sleep on). When we got back, she slept on her bed fine for the first week, and I went back to work. We both got back to our regular routine. However, the week after that she started having problems going to sleep. She cries when I put her down at 8 now. I moved bedtime to 8:30 to see if it would help, it didn't.
She has a sound machine and an AC (which makes the same sound). She has a light up turtle and a night light so her room is not so dark. I have to get up at 4:30 AM every day and I can't go to be much past 10 pm and still be able to function the next day.
She's been crying and screaming for hours. She cried and screamed until 10 om last night, when I went and got her because I couldn't take it anymore. She ended up on my bed, which I know I shouldn't do, but I needed to sleep as well and she was so upset she was shaking!

Any advice? Any ideas? I don't know what else to do.

I tried putting lullabies on a cd player in her room, that worked 1 night, but it didn't work again. Help please!

Dalimonster

Asked by Dalimonster at 11:03 AM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The only way, I think, you will get her broken of this is to NOT give in. But I know how hard that is. Best of luck
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:06 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Has she developed a fear of the dark? My ds went through that phase recently, he is 2 1/2. He has two night lights and he was still scared. But, with patience and a lot of convincing him all was well, he is doing better. I have given him Hyland's calm forte for kids to help relax and sleep on his bad nights. I know that when you get off your normal routine, things can be difficult for a while until they get readjusted. It has been that way since school has been out. I am lucky I do not have to get up and go to work in the mornings, I would never make it! So, I know how hard it is for you! I wish you lots of luck and a good nights sleep!! :))
    AngieBry

Answer by AngieBry at 11:13 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• What is Hyland's calm forte? Where do you get it? I was thinking of giving her warm milk before bed. My mom used to do that with us. It always worked for me (until I graduated college and joined the real word with real stress).

I don't know if it's a fear of the dark. If I leave the light on, she asks me to shut it off. But I think that's because it's a routine thing. She has been asking me to leave the door open for her. I've done that a few times, but then she either wakes up at any sounds from outside her room or still won't fall asleep and starts crying if I go by her room (which I have to do to get to mine) and don't go and get her.
    Dalimonster

Comment by Dalimonster (original poster) at 11:25 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Does she want company? Sometimes when my son gets thrown off his routine (fears, traveling, whatever), I have to ease him back into sleeping alone. First night, I'll start by snuggling and singing to him until he's very sleepy and then put him down in his crib. He'll cry and try to snuggle again, so I'll sit next to the crib and sing while petting his head until he's falls asleep. If he wakes at night, I'll let him try to put himself back to sleep- will only go in if he's REALLY upset. The next night, I'll do the same but will leave once's he's almost, but not quite asleep. The trick is to leave quietly when things are quiet and his eyes are closed. 3rd night, I might just lay him down, and sit near him for a bit until he sleepy and calm and then say good night and leave. Usually by 4th night, we can go back to just putting him down awake and letting him fall asleep on his own. Maybe something gradual like this might help?
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 3:35 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• If I get her up at 5 or 5:30 in the morning she goes to sleep relatively calmly at night. Last night she went to bed with some complaining but I think she was too tired to do anything. We don't get u0p at 5:30 AM in the weekends. We get up at 7 or 8. That's when the sleeping problem arises the most. My mom suggests that I give her some benadryl, but I don't know if that's such a good idea. :-(
    Dalimonster

Comment by Dalimonster (original poster) at 7:24 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Try a teddy bear to sleep with. I had one for years and now my SD has it. Mostly, it is cry it out. I know it is hard, but that's what is needed at times. Just listen to the cries and if it gets too bad then give in. Try to make her understand that you need "beauty sleep" If you get up later on the weekends, move bed time back a bit to compensate.
    baquick

Answer by baquick at 3:31 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Also maybe try Johnsons Vabor bath in her tub, it is a relaxing scent to some children. At the day care I worked at we would pat the childrens backs until they fell asleep. or rub depending on the child. I hope any of our advise helps.
    baquick

Answer by baquick at 3:33 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Thank you. I think a combination of all of your advice has helped. She's taking her favorite doll to bed and her routine changed a little. She now goes back downstairs after bath and drinks some warm milk. After about 15 minutes, we say good night and then sh gets taken upstairs to go to sleep. It's worked so far this week. I hope it continue working.
    Thanks everyone!
    Dalimonster

Comment by Dalimonster (original poster) at 7:52 AM on Jul. 14, 2011