What is the proper age to talk about sex with my 8 year old son?

1sexymother

Asked by 1sexymother at 11:03 AM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Relationships

• When they ask.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:04 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• When he asks.. but make it age appropriate.. you dont have to tell him ever detail at once
    colbysproudmama

Answer by colbysproudmama at 11:07 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I think you should explain it by now,,
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:07 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I answer all the questions my children ask, but I only answer the questions they ask and never give them more information then they ask for. I will however discuss sex in more detail as they get older. I think around 10 years old.
    slick05

Answer by slick05 at 11:08 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Now. Start talking about age-appropriate topics- I don't think he needs to know Penthouse Forum details but he does need to understand his body, girl's body, who's allowed to touch or look, why his armpits stink, etc etc. I don't think I'd wait til he asks (respectfully, zakysmommy) because I promise you, his friends are telling him all kinds of stuff- some right, mostly crazy, scary wrong.

The earlier you establish that line of communication, the easier his teenage years will be (I have boy-18 & girl-16 and we talk about everything). Good luck!
    EgoTryptophan

Answer by EgoTryptophan at 11:09 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I have been answering my sons questions for the past few years. He is almost 9 and knows the mechanics of sex and how babies are made. Waiting until they are 10 or older is too late in my opinion. My son appreciates our honesty and trusts us since we haven't been secretive on the topic. I would sit him down and tallk to him or at the very least when he asks you a question answer it and not dismiss him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• i would talk to him now and ease into it and let him ask the questions and tehim what is right and what is wrong.i would tell him everything
    diana398

Answer by diana398 at 11:24 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I think it is an ongoing conversation rather than a one time deal. My oldest daughter will be 6 in a couple months, and she pretty much knows it all after all the questions she has asked with the pregnancies and births of her two younger sisters. She knows that it takes mommy's egg and daddy's sperm, the involvement of penises and vaginas (although I don't think she understands the full mechanics of how), she has seen a birth video, she can tell you about periods, etc...all from questions she asked and I answered honestly.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:52 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• We were talking about sexuality by age 6. She had questions, so I answered them. And I totally agree with Mom23, it isn't one conversation, it's opening that door wide open, answering questions, sharing values, and building a lifetime of healthy attitudes toward sexuality. You may also find it useful to ask him what he's heard about certain things, or what he means about a question, so you can correct any wrong information he's heard/seen etc. You heard the joke where the kid asks dad what "petting" is, so dad starts explaining it. Then he sees kid being totally flabbergasted, and clarifies how it's spelled. Kid was asking about PED XING (a crosswalk).
    terirose22

Answer by terirose22 at 12:48 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• REALLY??? Geez...I guess I need to sit down with my 9 year old and have a basic talk then. I've been avoiding these days, and trying to convince myself that shes still too young. I worry about it too, because I had her at 17 and shes my only girl...so of course I worry about statistics prevailing with her.

*sigh* Guess its time to realize shes not gonna be little forever...even though she promised me she'd never grow up...LOL
    mlmkjw

Answer by mlmkjw at 1:32 PM on Jul. 11, 2011