My 8 year old wants to get baptized. He will take a class to understand it better but what are your thoughts?

1sexymother

Asked by 1sexymother at 11:05 AM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Awesome! :-)

Those that question whether or not a child understands.. they understand better than we adults do... I find it sad that adults think children understand nothing! We are to be like a child... meaning simplistic in the mind... they get it faster than we do as adults because they have not been as exposed to the garbage people put out there. They see MUCH CLEARER than we do because their vision hasn't been muddied up with the junk out there as well.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 4:39 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I would have him take the class, and after that if he really still wants to, I would let him. Not many kids actually choose to be baptized, and their parents just have it done anyways. But if it's what he wants, why stop him? It's not really going to hurt anything...
    something_

Answer by something_ at 11:07 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• If he wants to do it i would let him... its not goin to do any harm
    colbysproudmama

Answer by colbysproudmama at 11:12 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• If its truly of his own free will that he's wanting this then let him take the classes and then see if he's still wanting to.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:14 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• The class is a great idea. Let him explore.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 11:17 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• His choice.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:27 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• If he wants to, good for him. It's his choice! I do agree with the "taking classes" because I'm not 100% sure that at 8 a child can take it upon themselves to completely understand the commitment they are making with baptism or dedication or whatever their faith has. So I feel taking the time to ensure they completely understand that is a good thing. But overall I see it as a good thing. I was 6 when I found my path, and I haven't altered it in almost 25 years. So the idea that an 8yo can know their path isn't something I would easily discredit...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:26 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• If he truly wants this then I would let him, but make sure he understands well enough.
    taking classes is a very good idea, but it sounds like he may have found his path...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 1:02 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Taking a class is a wonderful idea. If after taking the class he still wants to get baptized, you should let him. Jesus said, "Suffer not the little children to come unto Me."
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 11:03 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Well, good for him. He is making a choice to live his life that way and hope that he realizes and understands that he has to continue
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 12:16 PM on Jul. 11, 2011