To those that their child has broken a bone what will they do at a follow up of a broken bone?

my dd is 6 and broke a bone. She actually broke one and fractured the other in her forarm. They wanted her to have a followup in 14 days, but this lady kept scheduling it other days other than 14 days so I took the 11th. at 1. Well I am not sure what they will do. How will they chaeck her arm? What can I expect at a follow up? She broke it 12 days ago but we thought it was just a sprain so didn't take her to the hospital until the next day. I am due to have my baby in 3-4 weeks so not sure how long she will have the cast on. Also will they put a new one on?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Jul. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yea, they will probably replace the cast because the swelling has gone down since she initially broke it. When my son broke both the ulna and radius in his arm, he had a cast of for about 8 weeks
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:15 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• They'll probably take another series of x-rays, too.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 11:18 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• That happened to my son a few years ago. He climbed a dresser and it tipped over on his hand but we did not realize it was broken until he went to the ER for something different and his hand snapped while they were holding him down. The first xray did not pick up the break. Anyway, he had a case on for 3 weeks and at his followup appt the cast was removed, the hand was xrayed again to see if it healed. Kids are so resilient. If the same thing had happened to me, I probably would have been bedridden (kidding).
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:20 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Hi, dear hubbs is an orthotist (makes casts and braces) They will most likely re-xray the arms to make sure they are healing properly and replace the cast if they need to,, you should expect her to be in the cast for 5-8 weeks, depending on the severity of the break, she might need a pin put in if they determine they are not healing properly.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:21 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• it is one arm. She broke the one bone then the other bone next to that one she fractured.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:24 AM on Jul. 11, 2011