How can I prepare my son for kindergarten next year?

He is going into preschool this Fall and I want to prepare him for this and also for Kindergarten next year. Any suggestions would be great. He knows how to count to 40 and knows his ABC's; can color and recognize different things; but I want to do something extra for him. Thanks

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 11:30 AM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I went to an office supply store and got books where kids can practice writing numbers, letters, etc. I got the kind where you can use dry erase markers or special erasable crayons. The books have pages where they show how to properly write so he can develop the fine motor coordination that writing involves. The books are rated by age/grade. If you live in an area that has a teacher's supply store, they will also have similar books.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 11:48 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• You can teach him his address and telephone number. He should know his shapes and ABC's as well as his colors. You can also show him how to cut on a straight line and cut in general, trace his letters, numbers, trace his name first and last, matching pictures and opposites, giving him directions and following the task that you want him to do, reading books- I Spy books are great for the mind, coloring inside the lines, words: cat, hat, sat, ect, when reading books follow with your finger so he can see the words and follow, ask questions about the story you are reading. I hope this helps.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Body parts, spelling his name, reading a couple of words. These were on a list of things (plus the ones you mentioned) that my son was supposed to have mastered prior to Kindergarten. I have 2 older children and my SD was very unprepared for school (we got custody right before she started.) She ended up having hours of homework every night to catch her up. My DS8 had most things mastered so it was alot easier.
    Quinn525

Answer by Quinn525 at 11:47 AM on Jul. 11, 2011