HELP! puppy has chewing problem

we havean 8 month old rott/lab puppy that CHEWS EVERYTHING! im sick of my sons stuffed animals and my kitchen supplies bieng ruined, he is large dog so i can pout everything up high, i watch him but turn my back for 1 sec and hes chewing something, i put him in his kennel when he does this but it desont seem to help need advice on how to get pup to stop chewing i dont want to get rid of him but it is really annoying

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 11:37 AM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Pets

• First be aware that labs are notorious for chewing, it takes the right person to own a lab. Go scour the internet for tips on training a lab. There are tons of resources. You have to understand how this breed of dog thinks before you can mold him! Good luck!
    sidzwif

Answer by sidzwif at 1:04 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Do you have any bones, esp those nylobones.When he starts chewing on sometime he's not suppose to chew on, say, this isn't your's and give him something he CAN chew on.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 11:41 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• yes he has bones and toys but hed rather chew this other stuff
    JrsMommy07

Answer by JrsMommy07 at 11:45 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• get rid of the dog. that would solve your problems.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Get him some chew toys of his own!!-Puppies teeth until (I think) they are 14 months old. Just remember he is just like a teething human baby--he is trying to relieve the discomfort of those teeth coming in by chewing on everything. I went through this with Teddy--but thankfully, he wasn't really bad about it. I bought him toys--(stay AWAY from RAWHIDE--it's TERRIBLE for their digestive tracts) This will pass in time--it does get better--just get him something of his OWN to chew on and hand it oto him when you catch him chewing something that he's not supposed to.
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 11:51 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• ok thanks for that HELPFUL advice NOT, i m sure there is way to get him to stop chewing this is my SONS puppy so wed like to slove the problem and keep him
    JrsMommy07

Answer by JrsMommy07 at 11:52 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Sprinkle pepper on what you don't want him to chew, it worked for me when i was little and had my dog.
    Mummytomore

Answer by Mummytomore at 12:05 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• There is a product you can purchase at any pet store (they may have it a walmart) that you can spray on items and the pup won't chew on them. It is a bitter apple spray, it is made specifically for this purpose.
    I'm not sure what it is called, but I know pet stores carry it. It worked very well for my dogs.
    bookay

Answer by bookay at 12:14 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• There is also a spray called Boundary that you could spray on things that the dog chews on. It's suppose to keep dogs away from things they aren't suppose to have.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 12:16 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• my golden ret was and is the same way..and he just turned a year..he chews everything too...dish towels, socks, shoes, sandals, toys, stuffed animals, paper, xmas tree ornaments..PAIN IN THE ASSSSSSSSSSS lol..but i love him to death..nothing worked for my dog..like he knows "drop it" and "no" and everything..but all those sprays didnt work..pepper didnt, cayenne (sp) pepper didnt..locking him up didnt, smackin his butt didnt..even took him to dog obediance school..that didnt work..sooooooo ya i dont really have any advice..just wanted to know theres someone else out there in the same shoes (or lack ther of) as ya..best of luck
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 5:25 PM on Dec. 17, 2008