Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Frustrated! Trying to find a dermotologist for my son.

when DS was little he had this rash that would not go away under the corner of his mouth. I finally took him to a derm and they were able to clear it up when the ped could not. Well 2 years later it is back. My kids are now on Medicaid (which I am very grateful for) but I looked at the list of derms covered and it is like 6 places. The first 3 no longer accept it. The other 3 don't have any appts until Dec or Jan!! OMG. this is driving me nuts! and those 3 places were 1.5 hours away! Worst part I can't even remember the name of what they called the rash! Or the lotion they gave him that finally worked(we tried 3)! Okay so I still need a question... How stupid and I for not writing that crap down?


Asked by But_Mommie at 11:40 AM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Kids' Health

Level 44 (181,645 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • You can go into his former derm. and get his files. You have the right to the files and the information that is in them. You may have to pay a fee to get it, (charge for copying the file) but the cannot keep the file from you as the mother of a minor child.

    Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:46 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

  • I would think all that info on what it was and what worked to fix it would be in his medical file. You regular ped could look up that info and treat him, possibly?


    Answer by Lynette at 11:43 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

  • See if your pharmacy has a record of what worked for the rash. If they don't, ask the pharmacist for suggestions. I had cracked corners of my mouth often as a kid and cortisone was the only thing that helped.

    Lynette had a good idea.  Often a specialist will send a letter as to how they are treating things to the PCP.


    Answer by JSD24 at 11:56 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

  • I can't even remember what derm we used! It has been 3 years since his last flare up. The dr, said he would out grow it so I figured we had... I will call who I *think* was the doctor and see about records...

    Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 11:56 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

  • You're not stupid at all. It happens! You should have your child's pediatrician refer you to a dermatologist.

    Answer by LittlesMom549 at 12:11 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

  • Do you always get prescriptions filled In the same pharmacy? Maybe the pharmacist can look back and see what the medicine was. Go ahead and make the appt for jan or dec and ask them to call if there's a cancellation. Good luck. Also my children have trouble with their skin, cerevae usually clears it up. I have to use the soap and the lotion. We also use liquid sun laundry detergent. Good luck. I know its hard to see a dermatologist.

    Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 1:07 PM on Jul. 11, 2011