Moms of preemies... I'm curious

My newphew was born yesterday and was 9 weeks early. He's just over 4 lbs. We were told yesterday he'd just be in the incubator for a month, to develop his lungs... but now they are having trouble stabilizing him and he's being transferred to another hospital with a better NICU.

So I'm wondering, how many of you here have had premature babies, and how early were they? What other problems could arise from my nephew, Jett, being born 9 weeks early?

AdensMama0308

Asked by AdensMama0308 at 11:40 AM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My kids were not, but my niece was. She was born at 31 weeks. She was in the NICU for around 6 weeks. She had breathing tubes and feeding tubes. Today she is beautiful and 15. An honors student and a cheerleader. She was late walking (22 months!) and potty training (4!) but after that, by the time she started kindergarten she was completely caught up. Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:05 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• My boys were only 4 weeks early. Tyler's blood pressure was low, and had to be medicated but only for the first 24 hours. he came home after ten days. Taden had to learn how to eat on his own, and that took three weeks. he weighed 5lbs 3oz at birth and got down to 4lbs 9oz. He was back up to his birth weight by the time he got to come home. those were the only issues they faced, but the doctors kept saying they were very healthy for premies, so its not really comparable to your nephew.
    but we're praying for him and your whole family!<3
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 11:57 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• dd 15 was born 10weeks early and only weighted 4lbs 2oz.....she had some breathing issues (still does) and hearing loss (45% in right ear) other than that she has grown to be a healthy, happy , normal 15y/o (almost 16) teenager......she stand 5'11" and weights about 150....unless you knew her as a baby or we tell people they have no idea she was a premeeie.......as long as you nephew gets good medical care and his parents follow what the doctores tell them , then he will turn out to be a great kids and thats all that matter...congrats on becoming an aunt....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 12:11 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Ds born at 34 weeks, that's six early. He was just tiny at first. Then developed sleep Apnea which is super common and they come home with a med and a monitor for when they sleep. Not a big deal. Also most preemies get jaundice ( sp?) and they just get the tanning lights for that. I would just say to support the mom anyway you can, running errands, etc. Having a kid in the hospital is very frustrating because you can't make them get better fast enough.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 1:03 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Thank you Elsa!
    AdensMama0308

Comment by AdensMama0308 (original poster) at 11:58 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Thanks pam... that's how early Jett is too!
    AdensMama0308

Comment by AdensMama0308 (original poster) at 12:06 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I've told my SIL I'll babysit my niece (she's 4) any time, and she's asked me to get her some preemie clothes from my work (I work at Toys R Us). I told her I'll get anything she needs for her! We don't live that far away from here (we both live in the NE of the city we're in). We're not particularly close, my SIL and I, but I love my niece and now my new nephew and I'll do anything!
    AdensMama0308

Comment by AdensMama0308 (original poster) at 1:11 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• So sry to hear the baby has to stay in ICU,bothmy kids were born early! My DD is 2.5y/o she was born at 29wks 3Ibs 1oz had to stay in icu for 2mths she didnt have her sucking reflexs,yellow jaundice,feeding tube,IV"s,lungs is the last thing to develop on a baby so her breathing wasnt to good but now she is 34Ibs & 2y/o..Now my DS is almost 3mth old he was born at 34wks 5Ibs 10oz he stayed in icu for 2wks,he would grunt,yellow jaundice,had to be put on CPAP,many IV's,pneumonis,feeding tube,couldnt eat until he was off of CPAP,& now he is over 10Ibs! It is a hard thing to leave you babys right after giving birth to them,it makes u feel like a part of u is missing..I cried almost everyday,just tell the mom/dad to stay strong & hope that the baby recovers fast..I was told a boy takes longer to heal or recover,in icu they call the boy babys "little wimp" bc they heal slow! i will keep the parents in my hearts to get through this!
    Chelhaidax

Answer by Chelhaidax at 2:53 AM on Jul. 12, 2011