Is it enough to verbally claim your faith?

I'm doing some reading (as always) and one of the books that I'm reading said that (quoting here) "Christians need do more than simply say they are Christians and go to church, to be a true Christian they need to live their faith."

Now, as a Pagan, this is a belief I have always held. My faith is my lifestyle, it's more than simply a belief that I honor on Sabbats or Special days. But I've often heard many on here say that "If you believe that's enough." Which makes me then wonder can you truly believe and NOT live by it? Or is it simply something you think, rather than an actual heart felt belief?

I'm not in any way pinpointing any one group with this. It applies to everyone. To me, if I look at HOW you live and WHAT you say or do and I can't at least make a general assumption on your faith, maybe it's time to reevaluate your faith in the first place.

But that's my thoughts - what are yours? Is it enough to simply SAY you belong to or hold a certain faith? Or should your faith be your lifestyle? Or doesn't it matter?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:53 AM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I don't belong to anyone particular religion but have a personal relationship with God, it has served me well and I live my life according to his teachings of good will to others.....

Answer by older at 11:56 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I absolutely agree with you. Of course you can say your'e something and not be anywhere near it. It has to be a part of your daily life, how you conduct yourself around others,and in private, since God sees us even when others don't. Very good points, you made. This is why it's so important to study my Bible everyday,and spend time in prayer everyday, if I don't feel close to God, I can't truly live my faith, and that's when the enemy can sneak in,and start those doubts,and I try really hard to fight him daily.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 11:59 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I don't belong to any specific religion myself. However, faith and religion are different. It's not about living by what some religion says you should believe, but by your own personal faith & beliefs.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 11:59 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• First of all...throw out the "should do" book. Spirituality is such a personal thing..and each person's journey is different. NO it is not enough to just say.."i'm a christian." It is a lifestyle. You must be the light. It also depends on their level of knowledge..they may be a christian or "whatever you want to call it" but they may also still be young in the teaching. they may not be there yet. It is not your job to judge...but to guide and/or pray for them. It is like gardening. You can plant the seeds...but when they grow is not up to us.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 12:13 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• It's not that kind of book. I'm reading the Idiots Guide to Christianity. It was simply exploring ONE VIEW at that point and the Denominations which have come out of it.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 12:15 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I think you have to live it for it to play an important role in your life. Anyone can say anything but actually living what you believe shows the real faith.

amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 12:16 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Your faith should absolutely be your lifestyle. If it is true enough to believe in, then it is true enough to live. JMO.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 12:25 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I think if you are just saying that you have faith then thats fine...but if you are claiming a religion then you should live by it. Im Wiccan..and i dont just celebrate holidays...I do so much more then that...my religion means more to me then just beliving in it.....just like when i was christian is was more to me then just thinking i was going to go to heaven.
    Anonymous

• no it's not enough just to say i have faith, if you are a christain it should show by how you live your life,a should be heard by the way you talk.it should be seen by the company that you keep
    MADUKES402

Answer by MADUKES402 at 12:38 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• No, which takes me back to my question of the other day - are people lying to their deity when they ask for forgiveness/guidance/etc or simply lying to themselves when they claim a faith in the first place?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:41 PM on Jul. 11, 2011