What do you think?

I'm pregnant and due soon. What do you think about having a 4 year old in on the labor and delivery? Everyone says its a bad idea, thats not old enough. So I decided not to do it but part of me feels like I'm making the wrong choice by not letting my 4 year old be a part of it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:06 PM on Jul. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• I wouldn't do it.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 12:08 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Do what you want, it is up to you.
    Anonymous

• I was going to have my DD in the room with me with my youngest. She was 7 though. And I explained it all out to her, and even sat down with her and watch a video with her that showed a birth, so she knew what to expect. Then I had family in the waiting room just in case she couldnt handle it. Good thing too, cause when the said they were going to break my water, I told her "This may be a bit yucky..." and she didnt stick around to see. LOL
    mlmkjw

Answer by mlmkjw at 12:09 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• well...he or she is still kind of too young to really understand whats happening to mommy and why this baby is coming out of you so...i agree dont put your child to see his or her new sibling come into this life...now if they were 18 or 17 maybe....
    greens11

Answer by greens11 at 12:10 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I'd only do it if there is an adult (not your SO) who can be with her if things get too intense or you need a c-section. I really think she is too young to stay for a delivery but might be OK until labor gets intense.
    JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 12:12 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Too young to understand and not be afraid for you.....

Answer by older at 12:13 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I think it would freak him out....seeing the "graphics' and hearing the "graphics",
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 12:13 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Personally, I feel the ONLY people who should be in on the birth, are those who were in on conception! No kids, no extra family or friends, no work buddies... Just mom & dad.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:13 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• honestly its your child and your choice but is that something you really want your 4y/o to rember right know (mommy popping out the baby?)
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 12:14 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I don't think there is anything wrong with a 4 year old witnessing a birth. However, she's bound to have lots of questions, wonder about the woman who is in so much pain, and be very worried if/when complications arise. For that type of a situation, she would really need a parent to help and guide her - and that obviously cannot be you if you're the one giving birth. I don't think it's a good idea.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 12:16 PM on Jul. 11, 2011