Children

I'm due soon. What do you think about having a 4 year old in on the labor and delivery? Everyone says its a bad idea, thats not old enough. So I decided not to do it but part of me feels like I'm making the wrong choice by not letting my 4 year old be a part of it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:08 PM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I know many children under the age of 16 who have been with their mother's while delivering at home and they did great with it. That being said if you are delivering in the hospital or birth center then you need to find out their policies first. You also need to see how your care provider feels about it because some may not allow it either. Then if it is still even a possibility you need to evaluate how your child reacts to you being in pain etc. If you decide to have LO there make sure you have someone who is DEDICATED to taking care of the child that you can trust to read the child and remove them when they get upset. All you need is something else for YOU to be worrying about while in labor.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:53 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I agree it is a bad idea, their intellect is not ready for this yet.........

Answer by older at 12:12 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• How does your child act when you get hurt?? Are they concerned, freak out?.. If so it's def. A bad idea. If not, talk to your doctor...
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 12:17 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I didn't think kids under 16 could be in the delivery room. Its your decision.
    HappyMomma2832

Answer by HappyMomma2832 at 12:20 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Depending on where you are delivering, you do need to check policies to see if a 4 year old would be allowed. My hospital allows siblings to be present but if they are under 10 there needs to be another adult present who can take them out of the delivery room if needed. That being said, you know your child best. If you think your 4 year old would be able to handle seeing you in pain and would benefit from being present at the birth, then make arrangements for him/her to be there. I have several friends who have had their young children present at the birth of their younger siblings. I believe in preparation many times they had watched DVDs showing natural child birth so the child would know what to expect. Good luck to you!
    Abilyn

Answer by Abilyn at 1:04 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• i wouldn't have a 4 year old in there but i would bring them in right after the baby was born
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 2:58 PM on Jul. 11, 2011