MAN DIET

My husband wants to diet to lose weight. Since I'm the cook - I need help! He works a good 60 hour week, retail, on his feet - so does he need to add exercise into eating better? Is there a system to follow? Do these Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers, South Beach things work??? Do they have cook books or just frozen meals???

augsmom

Asked by augsmom at 12:12 PM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Weight Watchers is tried and true by a gazillion people. And if you can afford the others, they say they do work.
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 12:14 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• It's hard with a man esp. when they work hard, they want ALOT of food, or at least mine does lol. Try to replace certain foods with better options and you will see some change. We switched all white bread with wheat, white noodles with wheat, we grill all meats instead of frying. We use turkey meat for everything instead of red meat, and we drink mostly water or crystal light instead of pop and juice. This is a good start to losing weight, then you can go into portion sizes and exercises too.
    siera_lyn

Answer by siera_lyn at 12:21 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Just make improvements - instead of regular/white pasta, serve whole wheat pasta, instead of white rice make brown rice, instead of white bread make/buy 100% whole wheat/grain bread, instead of white potatoes make sweet potatoes. Add extra servings of veggies - if you usually serve 1-2 per meal, serve 2-3 per meal. Add a side salad to more meals - and instead of iceberg lettuce, serve a mixture of romaine & baby spinach, as well as other dark leafy greens. Think colorful - something of every color per day - watermelon, carrots, cauliflower, blueberries, green beans, etc. Cut back on sodium & sugar - but don't use artificial sweeteners. More water instead of other drinks.
    Anonymous

• He is definitely a southern, meat and potatoes man. He has been eating a lot of fast food since we don't work together anymore. Now that its summer, I figured I could get into a better routine of cooking more instead of fast fooding more. He is a very picky eater and is used to his tried and true southern cooking - but - I am willing to try again. South Beach has some menu's - can I just follow those? Is that enough? Maybe if I just cook him a South Beach lunch thus replacing the fast food it will help??? I am really going into this blind because we can sit down and eat the exact same portions and I don't gain a pound. :( I want to help so much, but I really don't know how!
    augsmom

Comment by augsmom (original poster) at 12:50 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• We've done all that - Anonymous - I don't care for the artificial sweeteners either! :) Thanks!!! More water. More water. What about those vitamins/pills that replace fat with energy?
    augsmom

Comment by augsmom (original poster) at 12:52 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Summertime means easy grilling time...just grill lean meats for dinner, skip the starch and make extra grilled or roasted veggies. We like pork tenderloin, chicken breasts, london broil, etc. Roasted veggies we love are cauliflower, broccoli, asparagus (grilled too), peppers, onions, mushrooms.... Make double the amount so he can take leftovers for lunch, or make him some healthy lunches, turkey sandwiches, etc... the fast food just HAS to go...unless he has the willpower to get the right things at these places. McDonalds has 2 salads I love...the Asian grilled chicken and Southwest grilled chicken salad (or is it called Santa Fe salad, not sure, lol), obviously with low or fat free dressing. If he gets chinese, get chicken with broccoli - no rice.

Definitely drink more water and make a big pitcher of iced green tea for the fridge.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:08 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Also, its too hot now for chili, but I made a veggie chili with Boca or Morningstar Farms crumbles in place of beef and my DH does NOT know the difference, lol. I load it up with veggies and beans and tomatoes, so good... I also use the crumbes for stuffed green peppers. I would not do any fad diets, and definitely don't take pills, just eat better, and maybe you two can take walks at night?

Weight watchers is great, its definitely taught me how to eat, that is the only one I'd bother with.

Oh, and I forgot fish of course! lol Does he like fish?
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:11 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• NO pills!
    Anonymous

• So I've pulled all the Phase 1 recipes for South Beach that they had online to start with and ordered a cookbook on Amazon for $4!!! Some lunch, dinner and snack ideas.

Loves fish - the salmon should be a hit...fingers crossed. AND - he does SAY he eats a salad SOMETIMES. :) (I love the trickery)!!!

Thanks guys!!!
    augsmom

Comment by augsmom (original poster) at 1:55 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I couldn't begin to fit all that in this space for a hard working man. They seem to have a hard time giving up portions. IMO. I eat on a salad plate but my DH just couldn't do it. He needed his dinner plate. Stick with LEAN meats, fish, chicken....fresh veggies, steamed, skip the fats as much as possible. Stay away from white foods, breads, pasta, potatoes...all starchy. Also, before meal, drink a full glass of water and after meal also to help with proper digestion so food digests faster than without. Posters above all have good ideas...my DH drives truck cross country....dieting for him is very hard bcz his food choices are so limited where you can get with an 18 wheeler. I bought him fridge/micro but still...very limited. We really hate that part of his job. Good luck to you!!!!
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 2:58 PM on Jul. 11, 2011