Is this normal 6 year old stuff?

- can't sit still even to eat
- fights with his sister all the time about everything especially if she is not 'playing his game right' or is she is 'saying something wrong'
-Gets in trouble in school for refusing to do work
-has NO friends other kids think he is weird because he is too physical he wants to get their attention by pulling on clothes and what not.
-wants to go do something then when I say I am ready to go he screams about not wanting to go.
-refuses to cooperate no matter the consequences. Even a simple 'put your shoes int he basket please
-talks non stop about only one or two things. It changes but right now it is space and robots. Sometimes TV shows he is into
-We have netflix so he will get hooked on one show and that is all he will watch
-seems nervous all the time
-cry when I wash his hair or clip his nails
-people think he is like 5 instead of nearly 7.

Is this something we are dong wrong or is this pretty common.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:14 PM on Jul. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• id say pretty common for me..but then again DS is adhd
    MonkeyMommyNJ

Answer by MonkeyMommyNJ at 12:16 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• dont take this the wrong way but you just described my 9y/o ds and he has aspergers (autism) have you thought about that?

cara124

Answer by cara124 at 12:18 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Someone said that before to me and I asked the ped and she said because he had eye contact that wasn't it. We thought adhd but I am wonder how much of it is just us not doing right with im. Maybe we are doing his punishments wrong.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:20 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I am going to try to reply, and answer your question without getting on a soap-box.
    Long story short, my 9yr old son was exhibiting the same behaviors, since the age of 3.
    I kept telling the Pedi that something was off and I wanted an evaluation for him.
    Pedi told me he was a typical kid and he would "out grow" it!
    Finally I went over the pedi's head had an eval done at the children's hospital.
    (6 years after i told pedi the first time)
    Diagnosis: Asperger's Syndrome and ADHD. (and my son makes great eye contact)

If you believe something is off, or different, KEEP PRESSING THE DOCTOR until you get him help!!!!!
    MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 12:29 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Well my son is 6 and does some of that stuff, but I think you need to talk to his doctor, it sounds like anxiety or something,,,the no friends at all part is worrisome.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:31 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• my step grandson acts this way but only because his mom left for another man and the kid now has to go from mom's.dad's and grandma's......but if your enviroment is stable then I would check into maybe it being ADHD
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:34 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• While my 6 year old does some of this stuff the clothes pulling and physical stuff with the other kids doesn't sound right to me. It could be simply the environment and how you are raising him or it could be something like autism or ADHD. I would get a second opinion and go from there.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:50 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Sounds like I would take him to the local best hospital for an evaluate. You don't need the pedis permission.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:54 PM on Jul. 11, 2011