Getting SD to eat issue.....

my SD has an real issue about loosing weight she looses 2-3 lbs evey time she goes to her mom's for 5 days and so when she's here I make her finish her food to get her to gain her weight back.... and well last night my I told her she had to sit there and finish her food she had only eaten a pickle and chips we were having chili dogs and she likes them she just wouldn't eat and my DH let her get up right after that so for the first time he divided us and believe me I was pissed. what would you do?

she's 5 years old

traren

Asked by traren at 12:17 PM on Jul. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• I wouldn't force her to eat, but I also would not allow her to have any junk at your house so that when she's hungry she eats real food.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:23 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• You didn't say how old your SD has, but it sounds to me like she is on the verge of an eating disorder. It's hard to acknowledge, but what you really should consider is a grownup pow-wow to get all on the same page, and get her a physical to have her doctor suggest healthy ways to maintain her weight.
    terirose22

Answer by terirose22 at 12:32 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• beings she is your SD and your husband undermined you I would do nothing, In fact I would put my feet up and let him do the cooking, ... Maybe you should talk to him and come to some agreement where you are both happy.
    Reia631

Answer by Reia631 at 12:37 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• unless this is a health issue i wouldnt battle with her over food.....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 12:20 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Do you think she is suffering from an eating disorder? I think you should look into getting her some help for food issues, instead of being mad at her. This yo-yo dieting could affect her for the rest of her life,, and you husband should be the one to discipline her, making someone eat everything on the plate is almost as bad as not eating.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:30 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• that's a great idea on weeks that we have her from now on I won't buy any junk food if it's not here she wont be able to eat it!!!!
    traren

Comment by traren (original poster) at 12:31 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Never make food a battle, if they don't eat then they don't eat. My son is a nightmare when it comes to being picky and I have just gotten to the point where he decides what he is going to eat and keep around plenty of healthy choices. when it comes to meal time and he doesn't eat then he can have a banana but I'm also not a diner and cooking several different things.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:31 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Next meal make her plate with insanely small portions. Something like a toddlers plate. Tell her she has to finish that, So you are Not asking anything unreasonable. I personally have a kid thAt loses weight like that over distraction, if there is something fun to do he would rather play than eat. How old is SD?
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:50 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• If she is normal weight, don't make eating and food an issue. DON"T control her.

I thought SD meant South Dakota. For goodness sake, why doesn't ANYONE spell out the words anymore?????
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:31 PM on Jul. 11, 2011