How can I get more people to respect what I do?

I'm a classroom teacher (secondary math) and I am sick and tired of being called a babysitter. I've met so many math-phobic adults in my life, and if I could take away their fear of math, they would thank me, but when I tell people that I teach math to children, they smirk. I mean, come on! I get 150 to 180 kids a year through Geometry without it being terribly painful for any of us - that's HUGE! Really, though, what would you say if a majority of the people you came across thought your job was useless?

1bluemonkey

Asked by 1bluemonkey at 12:40 PM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Money & Work

• idk why ppl wouldn't respect it, maybe because many ppl don't like math, just a simple reminder that math is sort of what makes this world function would be great.

I major is statistics, hope to get my Masters in it. So I respect math and the teachers
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 12:49 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I'd smile at them and say, just remember, it's us teachers who are shaping the educational future of our country, and walk away.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 12:42 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I don't think anyone disrespects a teacher's job. I think they know how hard you work and how much what you do matters, they are just commenting on how hard it must be to deal with that many kids a year.

The majority of people I come across think my job is not just useless and obsolete, but dangerous. I'm studying to be a home birth midwife. I know better, I know it provides an important option for women and is safe. So, since I am confident in my career, it doesn't bother me.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:45 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I would think these people are ignorant to the need for math.

Answer by older at 12:45 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I have heard so much as a special ed. teacher...that paying me to "babysit" such a small class of "retards that wont amount to anything" is "the biggest waste of taxpayer funds" they could think of. Parents who cannot be bothered to feed or bathe their children (the majority of my students come from low income and/or low education parents) call me trash, tell me I'm an idiot, etc, but when I ask what they would like to try, there is no response...just that I'm doing my job wrong. It is very frustrating. I finished out last year on my maternity leave, and I'm not going back this fall. When you care so much about your students and try very hard to do a great job...offering a lot of your personal time and resources to give students extra...you can't help but take these comments personally.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 1:01 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Sadly, I don't think you can cure ignorance. Ignorant is exactly what they are if they cannot recognize the value of a teacher. I say ignore the jackwagons and be satisfied knowing that you're helping shape upcoming generations. You do have my permission to poke them with sharp, pointed sticks though!
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 1:04 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I'd ask the naysayers to imagine the world without educators...if you are the defining force in just ONE student's life, you have succeeded where most people have not.
    terirose22

Answer by terirose22 at 12:56 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I don't know how to get more respect.But I do admire you.I could never be a teacher.Dealing with my own is fine.But having to tolerate some kids who have no stability at home, and then act like hooligans with in the classroom.......well, I would probably get fired.But God Bless you for what you do.You may not see results now.But you are planting seeds in those kids that will grow later.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 12:44 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I applaud you! I wish I'd had some caring math teachers. I guess some people are really ignorant.

1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 12:45 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I totally respect what you do!! I think the job of a teacher is completely selfless, your a good person for what you do and anyone that thinks different should take a walk in your shoes for ONE day! Thank you :0)

amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 12:45 PM on Jul. 11, 2011