Stopping breastfeeding?

I am going to be stopping breastfeeding my son around 12 months old, he's 10 months now, and I was wondering what I should be prepared for. Are there any bra type things to make the engorgement more comfortable or any other products? I will probably still feed him at night if he needs it but other than that he will be weened. Thank you

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 1:08 PM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I did it gradually, dropping one feeding every few days, and never had anything other than feeling "full" at regular times but it went away. No pain at all.

Answer by missanc at 1:16 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Engorgement hurts - be prepared for that! When it gets really bad, pump - but not often, because that will keep up your supply... just when you need to relieve some pressure.
    What I did with my son (I weaned him at 10 months) was I cut out one breastfeeding for the first week-ish and replaced it with a formula feed. After that, cut out another and replaced with the bottle... and so on. It hurts a lot less than just cutting it out altogether, or quickly.
    Good luck!
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 1:25 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I would do it gradually. If you're set on doing it at a year, I would continue to nurse as usual until 12 mos, then cut back one nursing session per week until finished. If you do it this way, there shouldn't be much engorgement or discomfort. DO NOT bind your breasts. That can lead to clogged ducts and possible mastitis. DO wear a supportive, well fitting bra. If you start now, you'll have to replace with formula until 12 mos, which is why I said to start after the 12 mo mark.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:41 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I did it gradually....with my first child I just took a feeding out once every few days til it got done to one feeding per day then just stopped. With my second 2 children I did the same but I would pump instead of completely getting rid of a feeding (pumping doesnt get as much milk as the baby) for about 2 months and pumping only a cpl times a day and there was no engorgment at all :) Worked very good! I didnt give my babies formula I slowly weaned then that way at 12months you can start the whole milk.
    tikibaby4269

Answer by tikibaby4269 at 1:57 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Definitely do it gradually, not cold turkey! I did it a little differently though, instead of cutting out a feeding, I just went as long as I could between nursing sessions. If she was hungry and I wasn't full, I'd give her a bottle. Then the next feeding I'd nurse. It went faster than cutting out a feeding, for me. I did keep nursing first thing in the morning and last thing before bed for a little while, then cut out the morning feeding - basically "trained" my boobs to make less and less.
    Anonymous

• Cut one feed out every 5 days OR if he can't manage that, cut the feed short and give him a distraction. If you intend to carry on nursing at night (yay! to you) you'll find the engorgement is quite manageable anyway. So no worries on that count. All the best. x
    Womamhood

Answer by Womamhood at 2:19 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Thank you all! I dont plan to start weaning until he is 12 months, I dont want to give him formula, he wont take a bottle anyways LOL
    SabrenaLeigh

Comment by SabrenaLeigh (original poster) at 2:28 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• look at kellymom.com for weaning tips. That site is a wealth of knowledge. Cabbage leaves help dry up milk naturally. If your breasts respond to a pump, you can pump out about 1oz each side just to relieve the engorgement, but prevent your body from continuing to make 6-8oz at a time by that age.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 2:46 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Dont wear super tight bras wear them kinda loose for air as for weening him off you can do half breastmilk and half formula and keep lowering the ounces after each day
    Proudnewmommy11

Answer by Proudnewmommy11 at 1:27 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• it hurts because your not releasing it
    B00boo

Answer by B00boo at 8:17 AM on Jul. 12, 2011