When potty training, how long was it before you quit wearing diapers on your toddler to go out of the house like to the store?

jme0484

Asked by jme0484 at 1:21 PM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• A while...once they can go through a nap dry, and are voluntarily asking to go to the potty, I felt somewhat safe for short trips. I also took them in every hour to sit, even if they didn't think they had to go, then we "listened" carefully to see if it was time to pee. It made it difficult for a little while, but both of my girls were potty trained in a very short period of time once they really decided they wanted big girl panties, and neither of them ever had accidents or really even had to wear pullups to bed. Yes, I realize how incredibly lucky I was...but they're making up for it as teens!
    terirose22

Answer by terirose22 at 1:25 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• My DD2 is still working at it. She's worn panties to the store if it's down the street. She's 2 1/2 and we've been working on it for at least 4 months.
    I think it would be a lot easier if I could just put panties on her all the time, except sleeping time. But daycare has a pullups until fully trained policy. :-(

Walmart sells plastic training pants that you can put over the undies in case of an accident in the car. The kid is still wearing undies and can feel if there's an accident, but the car seat will probably not get too wet. I've also seen parents that have a potty seat in their car for when they are out and the kid needs to go potty.
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 1:26 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I put my dd in a pull up for outtings the first couple times but she was 2 1/2 when I potty trained her so she knew how to hold it until we got to a restroom.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 1:29 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I stayed home for 3 days and went right to underwear. After those 3 days I never put diapers on them again. But I waited until my kids turned 3.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:37 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• My Son stopped wearing a diaper the day He started training and it only took Him four days to be FULLY - that means day AND night - trained
    Though He stopped wetting at night on Day 2 as well as started standing to pee
    That was almost 2 years ago and He was just under 2 1/2 when He became a Potty Pro
    Wow how time flies =]
    .MhacFoirfe.

Answer by .MhacFoirfe. at 3:07 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I waited a while but then realized it was all me and not him. By that I mean that I was afraid he would have an accident and I was nervous to take him to the store in only underwear, but then I just started putting him in underwear first thing in the morning and then when we had to go somewhere right before we left we went potty and right when we got to the store and then if we had another place to go we went to the potty right when we got there. It's kinda a pain but if I wanted him to go potty in the toilet I had to make the change to take him all the time to the potty and most the time he wanted to go in different toilets, but now he's pretty much trained (except night) wal mart toilets scare him because they flush automatically and they are loud.... lol It's too cute how he is. I hope that helped!
    HappySam

Answer by HappySam at 1:55 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• once I potty trained my boy I took diapers/pull ups off completly..no matter where we were..he was potty trained in a week and just turned 2..I asked him if he had to potty a billion times and would have a little potty in the truck and ask if he had to go before the store..the hardest issue we had had was pooping in the potty so we did poopy prizes :) it was a little box full of stickers..little motivation!!!
    socalikim

Answer by socalikim at 2:27 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• at two years old with my son, i just completely stopped using diapers. one day, i juust put him in underware and told him to pee in the potty. the only time we used diapers after that was when we went on a 12 hour drive to ohio. He is almost 3 now and has only wet his pants once and only wet his bed twice. i didnt have any problem with it at all. he would always tell me when he had to go if we were out; he doesnt tell me when he goes at home. he only calls for help if he poops cuz he knows he cant wipe his butt well
    CassCass

Answer by CassCass at 9:10 AM on Jul. 12, 2011