Annoying neighbor kids

For some reason my husband said one of the neighbor girls could spend the night last night. I was taking a nap when he okayed this because I would have said no. For one I was tired and knew I'd still be tired in the morning after a long day yesterday. I've been having headaches a lot lately which are not fun and this girl doesn't believe in following our rules and is very noisy.

So she comes over last night and it's already after 10pm so I send them all to bed. My husband said they could stay up a little talking. He had to yell at them to go to sleep at 11:30 when he went to bed.

At 12:45am I heard some banging and noise and it was the girls with the lights on, jumping on the beds. My girls know better. They also trashed the bedroom (every toy, blanket, pillow on the floor.). I yelled at them to get to bed.

This morning they had to clean up the mess they made and we have errands to run. At 10:30am (after the girls cleaned up the mess) we told her it was time to come home and she started begging to come with us and saying she can't go home because it's too early and she'll get in trouble for waking up her mother.

For crying out loud. It's almost lunch time. If she hadn't been here we would have left at 9am when we got up. Which is kind of late for us. We probably would have gotten up and gone to have breakfast at 8am.

Now my girls are cranky from lack of sleep and this girl is whining we're going to get her into trouble and refused to leave. My husband almost had to physically drag her home. Ugh (she's almost 8 for the record).

Her older sister doesn't act like that and always behaves when she is here (she just spent the night on Friday and then my middle dd spent the night at their house on Saturday and we wanted to leave to go do something at 8:30 but couldn't get anyone to answer to door to get her until almost 10am--it wasn't my idea to let her spend the night knowing we had stuff to do early).

I already told my husband this girl does not spend the night here any more. She's too disruptive and disrespectful.

Anyone else deal with these kinds of kids?

justanotherjen

Asked by justanotherjen at 1:37 PM on Jul. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• I wouldn't allow the girl to stay over either. At my house, if you can't follow my rules, you can not come over. My daughter and all of her friends know the rules.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 1:43 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• YES!!! I have banned children form my house because they can't follow the rules and not trash my daughters bedroom completely, that's horrible how she would "get ion trouble" for coming home to early.. Makes no sense.... My daughter's a neat freak & got mad when another kid would trash her room, she has mini panic attacks (&she's only 18 mos)... There's a couple of her cousins who are a couple of years older than her & she teaches them how to clean! It's cute because she tells them their doing it wrong if they don't put something where it belongs.
    something_

Answer by something_ at 1:47 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• OMG, YES
    It is very hard and we have to choose every time we are with them how to react. Mine is a little closer to home, my step daughter :(
    keeponswimming

Answer by keeponswimming at 1:54 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I don't have kids to my house anymore. I did with the older ones, I felt more comfortable having them at my home then at other people's houses. Now with the younger ones I'm over it!!! If there doing good in school and they're behavior is good then they can go to friends houses for sleep overs.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 2:02 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I have kept my friends DS a few times over night. He is a very good kid but he thinks he runs the house and tells everyone what to do. When it is bed time he simply says he can't go to bed because he is not tired. The first time I kept him overnight he stayed up til almost 3AM. Which means I was up as well. The second time was not so bad he was asleep by 1130 or so.
    HappyMomma2832

Answer by HappyMomma2832 at 2:24 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I remember those days and hated it! so glad they are over but now my son is asking about sleepovers ( there's 11 yrs between him and his sister) I'm sorry but I'm still not ready for them, I'm still in recovery,lol
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 2:36 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I havent let any kids sleep over yet- I have 4 boys and the thought of having extra kids that aren't mine sleeping over is scary lol! but that doesn't mean I wont- maybe in a few years
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 2:41 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• We just started having kids sleep over. Before we were living with my dad and he didn't allow people over. Since we got our own house we started allowing the girls to have their friends over once in awhile. Ugh. This girl's older sister is good (she's almost 12) so I don't mind her staying. But because of their attitude all day they aren't having any sleepovers for awhile.
    justanotherjen

Comment by justanotherjen (original poster) at 7:41 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• No, I haven't had the friends of my daughter's act up or cause any trouble, they're all pretty sweet. I have dealt with the staying forever and not being able to get ahold of their parent's to return their kid. Overnight visits almost always turn into weekend stays and that gets old. One set of parent's is really bad about never wanting their kid back. I say we can drop her off at 4 and she says um how about 5? I wanted to say how about you come get her yourself right now ha-ha. It all works out ok though and the parent's are really nice other than that. I have told my girl's that sleepovers would happen more often if it didn't turn into the kids staying for days at a time however.

Luuckymommy

Answer by Luuckymommy at 1:32 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• That would annoy the crap out of me. I don't have patience for other people's kids. I avoid having them over. In the summer I insist all kids are outside playing. If it's winter they last about an hour in my house before I kick them all out because they make so much noise. these are all kids that live in the neighborhood (this girl lives a few houses down from us). If their parents disappeared and I had no way to send them home I'd be beyond pissed. We have stuff to do and I can't be bringing extra kids along. I have 5 of my own and our vehicle doesn't fit any more kids (which is what we kept telling her while she was begging to come to Wal-mart with us like that would have happened even if we had room because she's annoying).
    justanotherjen

Comment by justanotherjen (original poster) at 1:37 PM on Jul. 13, 2011