what can I do at home if my child has an ear infection?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• AAAH! ear infections, your preaching to the choir my ds had them chronically to where anit biotics didnt help anymore.. a few home remedies you can try if you dont want to go get an antibiotic:
    Olive oil in there ear just a few drops..sound weird but it does relive the pain,
    warm water bottle or warm bag of salt against the ear - help drain pus out

keep them comfortable and most of the time it will go away on its own make sure your child has a hat on at all times even if its not very cold that will help prevent them in most cases
    JrsMommy07

Answer by JrsMommy07 at 12:03 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• My mom used to crush some rue, mix it with a bit of alcohol, soak it up with a cotton ball and put it in my sisters ear.
    She said it worked everytime!

Good luck!
    ivansmom07

Answer by ivansmom07 at 12:05 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• another homeopathic remedy you can try is: chop an onion put a tsp.of olive oil and wrap in a cold wash cloth,apply on infected ear for 20 minutes
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 12:48 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Well, keep in mind that many studies are finding that if a child gets antibiotics, they get better just as quickly as kids who don't get any at all. So antibiotics are usually not needed at all.

What can you do at home? Here are some ideas:
    http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/ear-infection/ear-infections-home-treatment
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:49 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• sorry, i meant warm not cold
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 12:52 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Olive oil. Or Hyland's ear ache drops.. they are all natural.
    Sadie85

Answer by Sadie85 at 1:07 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Make sure your child takes antibiotics on time and tylenol for the fever. not much else you can do.
    Anonymous

• There are homeopathic ear drops. I've used the brand Similsan (I think that's how it's spelled) and they work really well. It's basically just glycerin. It will stop the pain. The AAP does not recommend antibiotics for ear infections for kids 6-24 months unless the symtoms are severe.

"Not every ear infection requires antibiotics. In fact, eight in 10 children's infections clear up without them. Moreover, each course of antibiotics can increase bacterial resistance, making future infections more difficult to treat, says Allan Lieberthal, MD, cochair of the American Academy of Pediatrics' (AAP) panel on ear infection guidelines"
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 2:12 PM on Dec. 17, 2008