When do should I start to look for alternative ways to boost my chances of conception?

It's funny how all of your life you're taught how easy it is to get pregnant. Now that we're trying, I'm learning that's not entirely true. We're on our third month TTC (I know it's still early). When should I start getting more concerned about those little negatives on the stick?

Ash09855

Asked by Ash09855 at 1:41 PM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• Well depends on your age if your under 30 and you don't conceive within a year from trying then you can seek medical attention, also we only have a 20% chance of conceiving every month so it takes a little more time for some of us (unfair I know) also try not to stress about it relax & just enjoying making love instead of just thinking of making a baby, when you least expect it BAM your pregnant! remember stress can delay conception & even your period so try not to get your period out of whack. I know it's hard but just stay positive keep your mind busy with other things & watch it'll happen for you. GL sweetie =)
    VanillaBlondie8

Answer by VanillaBlondie8 at 1:47 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• After a year or so you can be concerned. I was taught a healthy couple with no issues can take up to 18 months to conceive. Granted that was almost 14 years ago, but it was by a fertility doctor, so I stand by that answer.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 2:33 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• You should stop testing and stressing. That will make it take even longer.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 1:42 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• My hubby and I tried for over 4yrs before anything.....we went to a fertility Dr who was testing my ovulation and he also had me on Clomid to help me ovulate on time....and everything was working well for me so we decided to have my hubby go in and get tested and the Dr said his sperm werent swimming that there was no chance for conception. So we all together just stopped trying, I stopped the Clomid and then about a yr later I was preg with twins (one passed away) , 2yrs after that preg again, 6months later (even tho breastfeeding) preg again, and now a little over a yr after that Im preg again....boy would I like to talk to the Dr who said we wouldnt be able to conceive :) Esp since we had a limit of 2 kids....lol But with this one being the 4th this is our final one! Couldnt be happier, but as you see it just takes time and dont stress it let it happen naturally!!
    tikibaby4269

Answer by tikibaby4269 at 1:50 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Well, I am on 3 months too. I am getting stressed out about it. Our first was so easy...didn't even really try and this just seems like torture. I am looking into a lubricant called preseed. It is supposed to enhance sperm...we'll call it "flow". ;) One person told me that their dr said from the 10th-20th day of cycle to have sex every other day.
    However...that same friend tried for 8 months and then finally just did "whatever"...that is when she got her positive!
    So, good luck to you! I wish you the best and hope you get your BFP soon!!!
    Kgalli

Answer by Kgalli at 8:47 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I had a hard time conceiving. My problem is physical. My womb is tilted and I had a hormone imbalance. My doctor suggested the "doggy style" excuse me for saying it, but it is true. This enabled the sperm to reach its target more easily. It took me a year and a half to get pregnant with my daughter. Have you been checked for anything like I mentioned?
    mdswoman

Answer by mdswoman at 1:54 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Thanks ladies... I don't think I'm stressing as much as just thinking about things. I don't feel anxiety, just anticipation/excitement. Mdswoman... I go for regular checkups at my OBGYN. He hasn't ever mentioned any problems at all. Are those issues things that would be detected from a typical exam, or is this something the Dr. has to specifically look for? As far as I know, I'm healthy and ready to go. :) Congrats with your daughter!
    Ash09855

Comment by Ash09855 (original poster) at 1:59 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• 6 MONTHS dnt wait a year
    babydust_2011

Answer by babydust_2011 at 3:21 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Just relax and have fun especially since this is your first!
    ttcforever6391

Answer by ttcforever6391 at 3:58 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I've read a little about preseed too! If the ovulation kit doesn't help, I think that's going to be my next step. I've also heard about how couples giving up get pregnant soon after... Even after taking steps such as adoption. It's funny how much your mind has to do with your chances... Good luck Kgalli. Maybe we'll both get postitive results soon!
    Ash09855

Comment by Ash09855 (original poster) at 3:48 PM on Jul. 12, 2011