I am VERY tempted to switch back to diapers bc my 3 yr old will NOT go poop in the potty!

I can't figure out WHY she won't go. WHen I ask she doesn't know why. She knows that she should go in the potty and she's done it before. I am so tired of cleaning poopy underwear and soaked underwear. This is so frustrating and exhausting.

HELP!! What do I do? This has been going on for 4 days now. We try and try and ask her every 30 min if she needs to go. As soon as we try to get her on the potty to poop she doesn't do it and she poops in her underwear right after!! AHHH!

Keeely07

Asked by Keeely07 at 2:11 PM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Not sure if this will help but my son would only poop once we got him an extra cushioned seat.. we went through 3 different types of potties.. good luck!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:30 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Diapers, and try again in a couple more months.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 2:53 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I am right there w/ ya. I am just gonna keep trying. He's 3 1/2. Its time for diapers to go.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 6:10 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I wouldn't ask her if she has to go, I'd just take her. It took my son months to answer "yes" to that question! We just took him on a regular basis and, yes, did a lot of cleanup. We used a reward to get him to poop. He loves cars so we told him he'd get a car each time he pooped on the potty. I watched him like a hawk for a couple of days until I caught him mid-process. He finished pooping on the potty and got his car. Bingo! After that we had very few accidents but I still watched him when I suspected he was getting near time to poop. Yes, it meant that eventually we had to phase out the rewards but the novelty wore off so it wasn't that difficult. I'd stick with it and keep on going. By the way, whatever you do, don't yell or get excited about the accidents. I found that was very counterproductive. When I calmly accepted the accident and cleaned up while talking about what he should do, we made proress.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:46 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I'm not going to pretend my husband and I are experts on this, as we only recently potty trained our first one, but with our daughter, we found that setting her loo in front of the telly while she's watching her favorite show always helps her go. Also, does your child have a favorite song? Maybe make that the "potty song"? So everytime he/ she has to go, play that song to help them? We found it worked fairly well with Abbie.
    nataliekateof2

Answer by nataliekateof2 at 8:09 PM on Jul. 11, 2011