How can i get my 3 year old to stay in bed when its time for nighttime?

Every night when i put my 3 year old to bed he will not stay there. Its a fight, Usually we do it til around 10:00 at night. Its getting old. I had to move him out of his brothers room cause he was keeping his brother up. Any suggestions?

oregongirl1379

Asked by oregongirl1379 at 2:12 PM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If you put him to bed and tell him to stay there and he gets up, that is disobedience to and disrespect for you as his parent. Those were the two things we spanked our children for, and I think it is perfectfly acceptable to discipline him in this manner. He is old enough to understand what you say to him, so tonight I would tell him there are new rules. If he gets up, he will be spanked. Then you must follow through, put him back to bed, tell him you love him too much to allow him to be disobedient, and repeat the cycle if necessary. Done consistently, he will soon get the message. He is taking advantage of you and he knows full well what he is doing. Time to show some tough love, Mom!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:21 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• We did the same thing as above. Told them to stay in bed, and if they didn't then there were clear consequences.

Answer by missanc at 2:23 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• When spanking didn't help ours, we implemented the 'staying in bed technique' and it worked well.

http://www.supernanny.co.uk/Advice/-/Parenting-Skills/-/Routine-and-Teamwork/Getting-Toddlers-to-Stay-in-Bed.aspx
    MommyofTwo331

Answer by MommyofTwo331 at 1:39 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Thank you everyone for your advise!
    oregongirl1379

Comment by oregongirl1379 (original poster) at 3:54 PM on Jul. 14, 2011