Is anyone familiar with bipolar in children?

I have a 7 year old son who is getting help with some uncontrolable feelings, He has even said he was going to kill himself :( We have been doing some counciling and now have been refered to a better place to try and figure out whats going on? I have looked up children with bipolar and he matches almost every question. Any thoughts or suggestions?? Its heartbreaking, a 7 year old is suppose to have no worries in the world.

oregongirl1379

Asked by oregongirl1379 at 2:17 PM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Kids' Health

• My little cousin has been diagnosed with being bipolar, they put him on a low dose meds, he's doing much better now. The counseling alone wasn't enough for him.
    something_

Answer by something_ at 2:20 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I had a child in my 2 nd grade class, he was diagnosed and most would go from happy to a fit of rage in ten seconds. I just had to learn what upset him and avoid it for everyone's sake. He did break the heater during the holiday party when he didn't get something, I still don't know why he did that. He ended up going to another school that focused on kids with emotional issues.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:32 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• It is really hard to diagnose Bipolar in children. The diagnosis was actually meant for adults, as kids symptoms can present very differently. For instance, kids with depression can turn up with stomach ache, nausea, headaches, or agitation, but won't have the depressed mood part. For this reason alot of practitioners will not diagnose unless it is a diagnosis that IS a childhood diagnosis, like ADHD or autism.
    ANother issue is that the drugs used for Bipolar can permanantly harm the child's body. I have worked with many young adults who have serious permanant physical damage. So, it is important, as a parent, that you are being VERY careful. Some psychiatrists will prescribe to everyone, and don't really care about the consequences. So, if you are going to go that route, please choose someone with a very good reputation.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 2:45 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Yes, we are going to a psychiatrists that specializes in children. He has been tested for autism and ADHD, He has been kicked out of school twice for going into a rage fits in school. Its scary becuase you never know what is going to set him off. He has hit his brother which is 3 and left marks on him, He has also fought with my bf's son also as in fist fighting. My bf has been very supportive and helping me try to make him better :( Its been a long road, I do believe he is depressed also, he wont eat and he sleeps all the time. I just hope that i can find answers. It makes me feel like i failed at being the mother i should be.
    oregongirl1379

Comment by oregongirl1379 (original poster) at 3:05 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Bipolar is a type of depression. A person has highs and lows with Bipolar. Your child needs counseling and medication to control it. It is not easy to control. A lot of mental health professionals will not diagnosis Bipolar in kids under 18. They may say that the child has "Bipolar like symptoms". There is nothing for you to feel that you failed at. It's not your fault. It is a chemical imbalance in the brain. It will take trial and error, a lot of ups and downs but he can lead a normal life, IF he is willing to work at being able to control his symptoms. Talk to the mental health professional on your own so you can learn how to handle him.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:31 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I think it's possible to be bipolar at 7.
    nataliekateof2

Answer by nataliekateof2 at 3:11 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I personally think that there could be several diagnosis. For instance, a child may be ADHD and Bipolar. Yet, the doctor only sees the half of ADHD and half of bipolar so the quick fix is to diagnose the child with one or the other. In the early 90's it was easy for doctor's to diagnose children with ADD/ADHD. But, it was not common to hear someone was diagnosed with Bipolar.
    onelove1982

Answer by onelove1982 at 7:30 AM on Aug. 3, 2011