Do you think that the drug violence in Mexico has been blown out of proportion?

I live in Mexico part time, but not anywhere near the border. I have been vacationing in Mexico for 16 years and have not personally encountered any crime or violence. Do you think that the media has distorted the drug violence to make it appear that no where in Mexico is safe? I feel that both the media and the US govt. constantly show Mexico in a bad light in order to deter American citizens from visting Mexico and spending their money there. In all my years visiting Mexico I have felt perfectly safe, even when driving some 600 miles from the US border to Puerto Vallarta. I have found the people kind, friendly, helpful, and very family orientated. IMO they certainly do not deserve the bad rap they have been given by the media. What do you think? Would you visit Mexico on a vacation? Most of the drug violence is going on in the border states.

maggiebgood

Asked by maggiebgood at 2:18 PM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• My mom and sister were attacked in Mexico City by a bunch of men with guns, and I have a girlfriend who was studying down there who was brutally raped and beaten by a group of Nationals. The policia refused to prosecute for her.

Just from personal experience, I avoid Mexico now. It is sad because I have vacationed there a lot in the past, but I am too scared now. it is not the media, for me though, as much as personal experience.

ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 2:22 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Absolutely not. Mexico is a shit hole country. No wonder their citizens have no incentive to stay there. that is a shame. It is just unfortunate that the thugs from mexico bring their bad habits with them, look at all the mexican gangs we have in California now... talk about vermins of society.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 2:22 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I think it is downplayed.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 2:24 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I do not think it has been blown out of proportion.

meooma

Answer by meooma at 2:47 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• What is Mexico??
    Y.B.normal

Answer by Y.B.normal at 2:48 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Ditto Gwen 20.
    However, I have friends who recently came back from Mexico and had a wonderful time.
    Anonymous

• No, I agree with pookiekins~ it has been downplayed... Violence is up in places like Acapulco.. I have no desire to go back... I prefer to spend my money in better countries. Not Mexico.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:57 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I don't think the media coverage of violence in Mexico anymore sensational the the violence in the U.S.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:58 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I too have been all over Mexico and Baja- even driven from southern central America through several countries into Mexico, and have never experienced any violence. However, I have not been to Mexico since 2007 and actually turned down a trip (business reward) earlier this year. Just common sense at this point, IMO-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 3:04 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Yep. It's called propaganda. It's our governments number one tactic to get us to do what they want us to do...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:09 PM on Jul. 11, 2011