Cold Fingers

My baby sucks her fingers when she wakes up in the middle of the night to help her fall back to sleep, but that makes it so I can't cover her hands at night to keep them warm, is that okay that she has cold fingers? The rest of her is totally warm.

julipickle

Asked by julipickle at 12:04 PM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's fine.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:05 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• My son has cold fingers at night because he doesn't want his hands covered. I think its one of those things that seems absolutely cruel and unusual to us but the kids are just fine with it.
    k.alexander

Answer by k.alexander at 12:05 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• yeah its fine my daughter sleeps with her arms straight above her head. every since she was born she hated being swaddled because she wanted her arms out. i think its weird because in all the ultra sounds i got her hands were above her head until she got to cramped then they were up by her ears.
    burtney0921

Answer by burtney0921 at 12:45 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• My almost 5 year old HATES blankets, since he was about a year old! When he first goes to sleep I cover him with a fleece blanket or his comforter, but he usually kicks it off a short time later. I just make sure he is dressed warmly--fleece PJ's in winter, and lightweight PJ's in spring/summer (due to the air conditioner), and I use flannel sheets and pillow cases year round. He sleeps, well, like a baby! LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:08 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Totally normal! Most babies hate having theyre hands being covered there's nothing u can do and if you turn the heat up just to get her hands warm then the rest of her will be too warm. They say dress your baby as you dress. If you have two layers then your baby should have two layers. If your hands get cold you feel fine right? No need to worry my son gets cold hands too!
    CBKaschsMama

Answer by CBKaschsMama at 2:42 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• my kids never had their hands covered, they turned out just fine.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 4:05 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• My youngest daughter sucks her fingers, too. But, even so, I never put a blanket any higher than just above her waist...just afraid of her pulling it over her head. Her hands sometimes feel cold, but the rest of her is fine so I know she's ok. I never covered any of my kids' hands while they slept and they are all just fine. I'm sure your little one will be, too. :)
    nAfrenzy

Answer by nAfrenzy at 5:21 PM on Dec. 17, 2008