For those Moms of only one child.

Does your child try to get all the attention even when you and your dh/so try to talk, hug , kiss or whatever? My ds constantly tries to push in between dh and I even though he always gets the first kiss and hug from his dad when he walks in the door. Our son is 9 years old and yes the center of our world but is this normal or is it just our son?

ky_phoenix

Asked by ky_phoenix at 2:37 PM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• i am an only child when i was little i wanted all the attention because i had no one my age to play with and only the adults to hang out with and i wanted all the attention i could get because when it was time for everyone to go their seperate ways i got so bored i wanted someone to talk to and play with so i always bugged my parents in hopes they would play a board game or anything for that matter with me.
    meliscool72

Answer by meliscool72 at 11:18 PM on Jul. 21, 2011

• Our daughter is 18 months & she does that!
    something_

Answer by something_ at 2:37 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• DD's almost 3 and I don't think she's ever done it. I've seen one or two kids do it before,though.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 2:40 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• My 3.5 yr talks over us all the time, but she does this with everyone. We're working on teaching her not to.

She could care less about our being affectionate towards each other.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:41 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Sometimes. My Son is a Love and wants all the hugs and kisses to Himself =]
    .MhacFoirfe.

Answer by .MhacFoirfe. at 2:43 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• My DS is 5 and he does.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:45 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• yes the center of our world

That is your problem. When your husband gets home, tell your on to sit down on the couch or go to his room if he can't back off. He is not a little boy and you shouldn't have to fight him for your husband's attention. I have 5 kids and only one behaves like that and he gets sent to his room everytime he jumps up to attack whoever is walking through the door. He is learning quickly.

matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 3:42 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• our son is 2.5 and used to try to get in the middle of everything but doesnt do it as much anymore
    jaksonsmommy

Answer by jaksonsmommy at 2:51 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• How do we still teach them they are the love of our lives and keep our marriages strong when we can't even sit beside one another without him sitting between us? I love my son more than life and don't ever want to hurt his feelings but I would love to be able to give my man some attention now and again too...lol. I thought he would grow out of it but it has got worse seems like..
    ky_phoenix

Comment by ky_phoenix (original poster) at 2:53 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• My Dd isn't an only anymore but she had 9 yrs of being the only so I have to say yes this is typical singleton behavior. We have to remind DD all the time to be courteous and not interrupt us.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 2:58 PM on Jul. 11, 2011