A question about Jesus

I've been reading some of the answers to other questions. It seems that most believe Jesus was a perfect sinless man. That he never wed or had children. Why would that be considered a sin? Sex between a married man and wife is not a sin.....neither is being married or having children. So, why do some believe that he could not have married or had a child simply because he was sinless?

san3

Asked by san3 at 12:14 PM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Most people argue that "IF" he was married and "IF" he had kids, that it would have been explicitly referred to in the Bible. Since it wasn't, there's "no way" he could have been married and have kids.

(I'm agnostic, so I'm not an expert on the subject, of course. But that's what I've gathered from reading responses around the site. This is a verrrry popular topic, lol)
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:17 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Being married would not have been a sin. It would have made Him unpure. Just as sex does. He is perfect in every singel way. The spirit of the Holy Ghost was with Him every moment of his life. Jesus was pure and free from sin.
    aMbeR012005

Answer by aMbeR012005 at 12:18 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Maybe what they mean instead of sinless, is pure?
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:20 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Though the devil was there to test Him , and tempt Him, But Jesus didnt nudge one bit.

He was sinless and pure. Did not sin, was pure.
    aMbeR012005

Answer by aMbeR012005 at 12:22 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• it had nothing to do with sin... but he was sent here to accomplish a purpose and that did not involve having a wife and children. besides that, he KNEW what was in store for him and that would have been VERY irresponsible to leave behind a family.
    Anonymous

• We aren't to want, do, breath or love... but god. So if you are married and have children, it obvious you've failed??? Doesn't the bible encourage marriage?

Anon 1 - If it irresponsible for Jesus, is it not irresponsible of us... For surely revelations tells us what is to come.

Once awaken, should we abandon our families to pursue virtue?

Anonymous

• Because He was God in human form. He had more important things to do while He was on earth than get married.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 1:05 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Marriage and children was not His purpose, nor would it have fit into His lifestyle. He was constantly on the move teaching for the last 3 years of his life. Notice at the cross it was not his wife weeping at his feet but his mother
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 1:21 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• You show me a married person - I'll show you a sinner.

Jesus did not wed because Mary was overbearing and didn't like anyone He brought home.

Can you imagine dealing with the 12 all day and THEN having to come home to a wife?

YIKES.

It's this kind of question that drives me nuts - WHO cares if Jesus was married? HOW does that negate ANYTHING He said or did?
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 1:21 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I believe he was married and may have had children. To be so highly regarded as a Jewish Rabbi, he would most likely have been wed.
    taylor-made

Answer by taylor-made at 2:06 PM on Dec. 17, 2008