question about infant clothing sizes - 18 months and up

I am trying to estimate what size my son will be next summer so I. Can buy ahead. Currently he is 8 months and fits into 6-9 month clothing perfectly. Someone told me to just add 12 to his current size and that will be the likely size he's wearing next summer. So he would wear 18 months is what I'm assuming, but doesn't 18 months mean that size is supposed to fit only up to 18 months old? (I.e. size will fit infant of average size between 12-18 months). In which case he will be 18 months old in May and would need size 18-24 (size 24 months) months for the rest of summer? So basically I'm asking what the heck 18months means- fits up to 18 months or fits 18-24 months?

newmama1301

Asked by newmama1301 at 2:54 PM on Jul. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• he would probably be in 18-24month clothes :)
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 2:56 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I would go with 18-24 mth.
    HappyMomma2832

Answer by HappyMomma2832 at 2:58 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• 18-24
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 3:00 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• 18-24 or 2T should fit him
    Ambie0526

Answer by Ambie0526 at 3:01 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• To be honest, at that age I didn't try to guesstimate. I just sucked it up and ignored the great sale prices. ;) Growth spurts at this age are unpredictable. Also, that 18-24 more size (which is often just listed on the tag as 24 months) is not the always same as a 2T. By that age, your DS could grow enough to need the toddler sizes. He could not have hit is growth spurt by then and still be using the smaller sizes.

My DD was getting into 6s last summer. They were big but wearable. She was 5 years that summer and turned 6 in September. This year she is still very comfortably in a 6 while some of her friends are moving on to 8s and larger and some are wearing 7s. Granted these are older kids, but the point is, you can't necessarily predict where they'll be a year from now. I remember having outfits my two never wore because someone predicted the size a year out and was off a season.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 3:58 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• My kids wore 18-24 months at 1 year old. I would get 24 months, but really I wouldn't buy ahead. You might be wrong and then it's a big waste of money. Just wait and buy next spring.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:04 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Yeah, until they were 3 I didn't buy ahead. You just never know if they will hit a growth spurt or not grow much at all. My youngest is turning 1 on Thursday and has been in 18mo clothes for awhile. He was wearing 12 month stuff at 5/6 months old. I wouldn't even begin to guess at what size he'll be wearing this winter. Could still be 18-24mo or he could be in 3T.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:59 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• It also depends on the brand of clothing. I just bought some PJ's that said, by poundage, my daughter just moved into the size and they were too small. I do, however, buy clothes during sales for later, but I don't think I'm confident enough to get them a full year ahead. I like going to babies r us because they always have clearance racks that have all seasons of clothes on them.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 11:40 PM on Jul. 11, 2011