Do you donate to your local police charity?

This telemarketing company keeps calling my home asking for the lady of the house. There's only one... me. The guy tried to lie and say that she donated last month, while no other woman lives here or answers my phone. So I asked her name and they said it was the lady of the house. So I told them that I could not donate at this time-maybe in a couple months. He straight out started trying to deliver another sales pitch. So I just said have a nice day and hung up.

I mean we have back to school shopping, and other bills coming up.

SeasideNative

Asked by SeasideNative at 3:04 PM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Money & Work

• I donate to lots of things. But the Police Union is not one of them. My town hasn't had a police force in well over a decade, and until we do I see no reason to give my hard earned money to the Union as a whole.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:07 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I would have asked to put on the do not call list
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:07 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I am a police wife. I don't donate to the charities.

Actually, we do donate to the Fraternal Order of Police, and other benevolent charities, but I NEVER donate over the phone, especially to cold calls. I am cynical of professional fundraisers and the percentages that go to charities; I am distrustful of organizations that will not send me something to look at (a link to an official website works, doesn't have to be paper) that tells me what percent of the money goes to the charity.

I have a finite number of dollars for charity - for anything, really. We do donate over 12% of our income, but I like to really know where it is going.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 3:09 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I donate for specific charity events they run such when they host benefit dinners for a child with cancer or something, but no, I would not donate over the phone unless it was someone I knew personally asking me if I wanted to contribute to something with either time or money.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 3:26 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I donated my last 10 bucks of my last child support that I will ever get to the DFL and then after it was said and done they guy says he is going to take the payment out monthly I laughed and said go ahead....the card will no longer be activated ( don't bash for doing what I did I hate my ex and so do his kids his money means nothing to us). I do not donate to the guys who call about the money to the local police because we do not have a police dept. there's one in the next town but they don't protect us so why donate
    alotleft2do

Answer by alotleft2do at 5:59 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I think it is a scam ~
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:06 PM on Jul. 12, 2011