Are there any "Kid-geared" shows you won't let your kids watch?

I am very disgusted with some of the offerings...I used to like the Disney Channel and Nickelodeon line up, but some of the newer shows are just dumb. It's hard explaining my reasoning to a 12 year old who believes everything she hears on TV, and watches show indiscriminately. Are there any that you detest, despite their apparent "child friendly" facade?

" No, daughter, Sponge Bob does not use swear words, have too much sex, or show violence, but it's stupid, and it makes me want tor rip my eyeballs out. "

terirose22

Asked by terirose22 at 3:17 PM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Yeah, most "educational" shows geared towards 2-4 year olds like Barney, Caillou, Little Bill...basically anything on PBS and any of the shows that feature grown men dancing around and singing like morons. They give me migraines. I'll take Spongebob over them any day. I don't even program PBS or Sprout into the kids favorite list on the cable box.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:06 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I banned SpongeBob a long time ago. It has rude/toilet humor.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 3:21 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Definintely Spongebob is not a good thing. Try Phineas and Ferb? Or there's always Discovery Kids.
    nataliekateof2

Answer by nataliekateof2 at 11:48 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• We LOVE Phineas and Ferb...it's not that there aren't plenty of good shows out there, it's just that she will watch LITERALLY anything (Read: Infomercials to Preschool shows, and she is 12) if there isn't something she particularly likes on (new favorite is Ghost Hunters and the like, which are completely fake, but still scare the bejezus out of her). I definitely encourage a different activity, but today it was stormy and I immediately hear Sponge Bob, which irritates me to no end. Oh, and @JAJ. Cailliou used to be her favorite when she was preschool age...now she likes to watch the video and point out what a whiner the little brat is! I feel justice has been served! Thanks ladies for letting me know I'm not alone!
    terirose22

Comment by terirose22 (original poster) at 1:44 AM on Jul. 12, 2011