Weaning from naptime nursing

I can't get my son off of the naptime nursing. He drinks cow's milk for lunch but still wants to nurse to sleep afterwards for his nap.  Before, he would nurse to sleep and then I'd put him in his crib.  Now he won't fall asleep without nursing and doesn't want to fall asleep in his crib. I'm going back to work soon and need him to be able to fall asleep without nursing or being held. Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:20 PM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It will get better just be persistent..Im working on the weaning right now..it is soooo hard! my little guy loves tooo nurse. right now he nurses in the morning and at night..sometimes in the middle of the night. I weaned the nap nursing at about 10 months and it was pretty hard for about two weeks..some days were awesome he would go right to sleep other days he would totally freak..actually he is now almost 13 months and still has days like that..but I dont give in as hard as it is.I would get him a cup of milk and lay down on the couch with him and calm him down then lay him down..GL!!!
    socalikim

Answer by socalikim at 2:36 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Replace "the boob" with something - take him to a store and let him pick a new little stuffed animal or one-peice toy or something, and give him that at naptime. It may take a bit of CIO. You could also give him another sippy of milk or water if he's thirsty. But Dear God don't give a baby Crystal Light in their bottle like 2teens, gah!
    Anonymous

• He is 17 months and has never had a bottle, so that's not happening. He has a little alligator lovey, but he just wants to comfort nurse to sleep. I've been letting him CIO in his crib while I rub his back. I'm not going to let him CIO all alone, but even me being in there isn't helping. He cried for a half hour before falling asleep and then only napped for a half hour.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:34 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Awww, that's hard. Does he or has he ever taken a pacifier, since it's mainly comfort nursing? If he doesn't/hasn't is that anything you'd be willing to try? It might just take a little time too, a few more days of doing it how you are - orrr, is there anyone who can come to your house to put him down for his nap for you? Like, you feed him lunch, clean him up, have someone come, you leave, they put him down, you come back 30-60 minutes later?
    Anonymous

• On the weekends, my husband tried that and he didn't cry as much, but still cried. During the day, everyone is at work. He's never taken a pacifier and it's not something I wish to have to wean him from later anyway. UHHHHHHH, it's been 6 days. Hopefully, it gets better soon.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:36 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• its hard that's a given, but #1 thing is to not get into that position, walk him and rub his back or lay him alone w/ tv or music, but don't hold him like you are gonna nurse or he will insist.

Last night DH gave baby a bottle of crystal lite instead of night time nursing, this is day 4 no milk for my LO
    2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 3:24 PM on Jul. 11, 2011