Migraines while pregnant.

I am almost 17 weeks pregnant and having the most terrible migraines I've ever had in my life. Not just headaches, but my all across my head, temple to temple, my head feels like someone has beaten me with a bat. I can't take noise or light and that is NOT good because I am a stay at home mother to an eleven month old. I pain is so severe that it is cause me to get physically ill and vomit. Tylenol does not help, and I have called the midwife and PCM. (I have tricare prime and they told me I cannot get an appointment but if I need to, go to the ER) My question is, does anyone know of a natural cure for migraines that is safe when pregnant. I am also breastfeeding my 11 month old so it has to be safe for that as well.

navy-wife

Asked by navy-wife at 12:25 PM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Also, does anyone know if the ER can ever do anything for me? I mean, I can't get a shot of pain meds while pregnant and breastfeeding can I. I don't want to put my daughter or unborn child in danger. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 12:25 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• No you would not be given any pain medicine even if you went to the ER. If no injury or othe serious problem is suspected then they wouldn't even do an MRI or anything so I think it would be a waste for you to go to the ER.

I am only 8 weeks pregnant, but I too get terrible headaches. The best thing that has helped me is just taking a cold washcloth and holding it to my head for a few minutes. I try to keep the lighting in the house down to a minimum and try to keep hydrated. I've head that dehydration can cause headaches sometimes, so make sure you are getting your daily 8!
    RCook

Answer by RCook at 12:46 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Thanks. I have tried that and drink about a gallon a day. But I will drink more, since I am nursing. I, too, thought it was pointless to go to the ER. Thanks for reasuring.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 12:48 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I had horrible migraines when preggo too. I took extra strenght Tylenol, drank lots of water, and laid down in a dark room. It usually helped. Also if you haven't had any caffeine today try to have a cup of black tea. When you put your 11 month old down for a nap try to nap too. I hope you feel better!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 12:49 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• They gave me T3, said it was safe. I didn't feel good about it, so I only took them when I couldn't stand it anymore
    HeartsLove

Answer by HeartsLove at 12:56 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I have been having migraines for the last week. I have just been taking Tylenol. Keeping the lights off. Thats all I know to do.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 12:58 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• well im 17 weeks pregnant too, i was prescribed with T3 but it only made me vomit all day and couldnt eat, so what i do is pretty much drink a lot of water and sleep for a while, cause also if you sleep a lot its not gonna help as it causes more headaches! :( i know how you feel i have migraines too! they are terrible.
    maryfer

Answer by maryfer at 2:09 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I am sorry!! I wish I could help you. When I got headaches while pregnant, I would take tylenol (my last resort) and lay down in a dark (as dark as possible) room while Dru was at school or napping. Definitely try that. That always helped me.
    DrusMom

Answer by DrusMom at 10:08 AM on Dec. 18, 2008