Are there any bipolar moms out there and how do you cope with your illness and being a parent?

I'm bipolar and going through ppd as well. Some days are hard and some I can barely make it. How do others cope?

BellaTragedia

Asked by BellaTragedia at 3:33 PM on Jul. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• I'm very lucky to have been able to go off meds since having my son. I went through a dilectical behavioral therapy program for 6 months and it helped to me to recognize my moods and take action to help control them. I have to say I never had many full blown manic episodes except the ones triggered by anti depressents. mostly just hypomanic which I manage by mostly staying home to control my impulsive behavior.

good luck
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 3:37 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Find time for YOU. Meditation, Prayer & Diet Changes have been huge for me. I don't believe in medication, but would have loved to have at least known what PPD was when I had it. Therapy can be a big help for some too, but it's not for me. Believe it or not, Blogging has helped a good bit too!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:52 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• One day at a time. Some days are good and some just plain suck.
    zoomomto3

Answer by zoomomto3 at 3:36 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Feel free to friend me if ya ever need to chat.
    zoomomto3

Answer by zoomomto3 at 3:39 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Thanks TNTmom, Ill look into that kind of therapy, Ive tried it all and Im at a point when I am needed. :(
    BellaTragedia

Comment by BellaTragedia (original poster) at 3:41 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• its hard i have good days i have bad days..i have days where i feel so guilty because i lash out at ds an dh over nothing. i just try and take it 1 day at a time..i depend on dh for support. which he gladly gives and that makes it easier. i wish you the best if you ever want to message me feel free too
    MonkeyMommyNJ

Answer by MonkeyMommyNJ at 3:43 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• When things get overwhelming for me I find time for myself. I try to schedule a night with my girl friends for dinner or a movie, I read a book or I journal. (Journaling helps a lot).
    I also go to therapy every 2 weeks to stay focused and in check. I track my moods the best I can, this helps me identify when I might have an episode. Usually its stress overload and I go into full blown mania followed by the depression shortly their after.
    I take it one day at a time, I do take my meds religiously (missing just one dose of my anti-depressant and I'm in bed for two days doing nothing but crying and sleeping).

blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 4:26 PM on Jul. 11, 2011