Breastfeeding while pregnant (no judgemental reponses please!)

Hello! Please dont respond if you are going to be negative about the age of my child breastfeeding!

I just found out that I am about 6 weeks pregnant. I took a pregnancy test yesterday and it read positive, then again positive this morning. And today I went to the health department to confirm the test and it was positive! I am so excited, but the lady that I spoke to was an RN and she told me that I should stop breastfeeding right away because I am taking nutrients from my unborn child. I was crushed to think I have to completely STOP breastfeeding today. My son did not even have his first bottle with milk until he was 10 months old, but when I started working I had to transition him. My son does go to daycare and he only nurses at night, but he really enjoys that time to bond at night. I dont want to stop right now, I think it would be really hard on him...Considering all of the changes that he has been through the past 2 months.

I spoke to my lactation specialist and she told me that it is perfectly fine to continue breastfeeding all the way through my pregnancy.

My question is, Did you stop breastfeeding when you became pregnant? If so, how did you make this transition easier for your baby? What do you think is the right decision?

RiaChristine

Asked by RiaChristine at 3:53 PM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Pregnancy

• How old is your son?
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:54 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I didn't have a baby to bf while I was pregnant. But I think the RN you spoke to is full of BS. Bf if you want to!
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 3:54 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• That's not true at all. That RN is full of it.
    We can't bash you when you never said how old your son was,lol!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:55 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I would speak to a your OB Gyn when you start seeing one and ask them.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:55 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• That is NOT true. Many Many people tandem nurse. LINK to some good info for you.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:56 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• My sister in law breastfed her daughter while pregnant with her youngest daughter. Her doctor told her it was perfectly fine as long as she continued to take care of herself by eating healthy and often. If your doctor said it is ok, noone should be able to tell you, you are wrong! Just my opinion!
    hopfmom2011

Answer by hopfmom2011 at 3:57 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I didn't bf for long, and I only have one child so far, but I know women who bf while pregnant. I think you just need to drink lots more fluids
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 3:57 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• As long as you feel okay, your baby and your child are both growing healthily there is NO REASON to stop nursing. I had to stop nursing when I was 36wks pregnant with my second child because my body wasn't able to keep up with the pregnancy and breastfeeding and I was getting very sick. BUT, by that point my son was already comfortable with table food and a cup, so it wasn't much of a transition.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:59 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• My son just turned 1 year old on June 29th.
    RiaChristine

Comment by RiaChristine (original poster) at 3:59 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. I have known MANY women who have breastfed while pregnant, and continued to breastfeed both children. I would find a ton of research to show that she's a nutter and send it into her work.
    Y.B.normal

Answer by Y.B.normal at 4:00 PM on Jul. 11, 2011