If someone wanted to be vindictive, could they use your mental illness to try to paint you as an unfit mother?

i have severe anxiety issues and i believe some OCD as well which is what causes me to have paranoid thoughts like the one i mentioned in my title. i believe my husband and i are headed to divorce, i am actually trying to get with legal aid because i've been depending on him and have zilch to my name. he has proven time and time again that he is more important than anyone else. i've been the sole caretaker of our 3 kids from day one. his needs were always more important. i would have no problem sharing custody with him, but i'm afraid he can use my anxiety against me. it does not get in the way of how i parent though, but anxiety makes you worry about everything. my kids are the most important thing in the world to me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:59 PM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• It could, but unless you were in the hospital several times or have a history of suicide I doubt he would succeed.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 4:01 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• He would have to prove how it makes you an unfit mother, and from what you told us, he does not have a thing on you for that.

Answer by older at 4:04 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• bump

pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 4:01 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• They can use it but it has a high chance of not holding up if the ant prove it. Being depressed doesnt mean your unfit. It means your normal.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:02 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• There would have to be evidence of the "unfit mother". A diagnosis in itself isn't going to get your kids taken away. He would have to have more than anxiety to paint you as unfit. sounds like your just being a bit paranoid though. Unless he's ever made that kind of comment to you, don't worry about it.
    Trinity001

Answer by Trinity001 at 4:03 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Yes... I suffer from severe depression. I never have tried to do anything stupid though. My husband told me if I ever tried to leave he will tell the courts I have very depressed and suicidal (even though that cant hold up) He's mom said he will back him up and lie saying I tried to kill myself several times (which is nit true!)
    mommy_of_two388

• i've never been suicidal.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:06 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• i'm sorry hun! but i do feel where you're coming from! i feel that i too have a bit of OCD and i'm paranoid and i worry a lot about my kids being snatched up (i was raped when i was 12, molested several times, and a few attempts were made to not only take it further from just 'molestation' [if that wasn't bad enough]...but also to try and kill me. this one little kid put a plastic bag over my head and watched me squirm and act 'crazy' until i just stopped moving and held my breathe to scare him.

YES someone could take these things, and a few others regarding my 'mental' status and use it against me. maybe you and hubby need counseling? once again, i'm sorry hun!
    HappyHmsklNapps

Answer by HappyHmsklNapps at 7:15 PM on Jul. 11, 2011