If the debt ceiling isn't raised...?

Does that mean DS's savings bonds are junk?

UpSheRises

Asked by UpSheRises at 4:02 PM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Not yet. But they soon will be regardless if government does not do what it needs to do. SHRINK.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:14 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• But aren't they just an I.O.U.?
    UpSheRises

Comment by UpSheRises (original poster) at 4:15 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Pretty much, just like what the SS fund is full of.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:16 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Well boy will i be pissed tax breaks for corporate jets take precedent over money I am actually owed.
    UpSheRises

Comment by UpSheRises (original poster) at 4:21 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• USR- I had my kids cash in a whole bunch of their SBs earlier this year-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 4:31 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• My DH was just talking about getting our boys SB's... I very loudly told him no way because of the things that are taking place right now.

amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 4:34 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• My fil has given my son 30k in the 1000 savings bonds we cashed them in and put them in a mutual fund we have that has done very well even back in 2008 when things collapsed.
    Anonymous

• Savings bonds SUCK as any kind of investment. Please open a 529 account for your child's education if that is what you want to save for.
    The grandparents started giving the kids savings bonds when they were born and when they started using them for college they were worth very little over what they paid. Also they stop accruing after so many years . There are many more options to saving for anything.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 5:43 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I can't see them allowing this to occur, knowing that our country's credit standing will be worthless. I hope the republicans don't cave and I hope the progressives will cut spending.   If however, the progressives refuse to cut spending, enough to do any good and allow the failure; someone may be advocating the failure, coaching Obama that he can blame the default on the Republicans and get himself re-elected. jmo~

Honestly, I think George Soros has a lot pending on our country failing, it is is dream to see us fall, I found this old link... jmo~

http://scaredmonkeys.com/2009/04/06/george-soros-betting-hedging-that-america-will-fail/

agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 5:56 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Have you seen this article?  Hmmm?

http://thirdbranch.crooksandliars.com/nicole-belle/destructive-country-surebut-profitabl

..."Rep. Cantor had up to about a $15,000 investment in ProShares Trust Ultrashort 20+ Year Treasury EFT, a fund that deals in "shorting" U.S. Treasury bonds. To explain: a "short" increases in worth when something fails. In this case: U.S. Treasury bonds. If the debt ceiling is not raised and the United States defaults on its loans, treasury bonds are likely to see increased market volatility and an assured drop in worth. If that were to happen, Cantor stands to make a lot of money on his investment."...

agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 5:59 PM on Jul. 11, 2011