Is caffeine really a no-no while I'm pregnant?

Yesterday at work, I was eating chocolate cake. One of our customers said "Don't you know you aren't supposed to eat or drink ANYTHING with caffeine in it, while you're pregnant! It can hurt the baby's brain development!"

Is this true? Someone HELP!

hopfmom2011

Asked by hopfmom2011 at 4:05 PM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Pregnancy

• It's okay in moderation. I drank it when I was pregnant with my kids and they turned out fine.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:07 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Your baby is fine. Caffeine is safe in moderation.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 4:07 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Not true. My doctor said it was fine to have a cup of coffee a day. Some people are extremists.
    fireeyes81

Answer by fireeyes81 at 4:07 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• no. i drank ice tea like everyday. sometimes more then once a day and her brain developed just fine. they haven;t really proven anything really. i mean in moderation. i would think a litlte piece of cake would do anything for brain development. if you really want advice ask your doctor. people are going to tell you all sorts of things. you are going to be the best person to listen to. listen to yourself and your doctor. oh btw ice tea has more caffeine then regular coffee and i had regular coffee too while pregnant. good luck and have a happy healty pregnancy. i looked it up about the caffeine and what has what amount in it.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 4:08 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• o my goodness this always gets me, ok so too much of anything while you are prego is a bad thing...so dont go drinking down pots of coffee, but havign some chocolate{without any other health problems} isnt going to hurt the baby. my stepsisters where the same way with their pregnancies, but i wasnt so affraid with my daughter and she is prefectly healthy baby and now she is actaully ahead of her age group :)
    bamamommy2009

Answer by bamamommy2009 at 4:09 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• When I was 9 months pregnant, I drank an entire pitcher of Mt. Dew. The day that I went into labor, I craved caffeine and anyone who tried to argue with me got the evil eye. Finally, the doctor came rushing in when I was about to push and my baby jumped out of my vag, landed on his feet and started tap dancing while singing, "Hello my baby, hello my honey, hello my ragtime gal!" The doctor ordered ADHD meds STAT and I had to sign a waiver that I'd never drink caffeine whilst pregnant ever again.
    Y.B.normal

Answer by Y.B.normal at 4:14 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• If you're drinking pots and pots of coffee every day that's not a good idea, but 2-3 cups a day, or some chocolate now and then is NOT going to hurt your baby. The key is moderation.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 4:23 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• My doctor said it was okay in moderation. I drank 1 cup of coffee every morning while I was pregnant and my daughter is just fine.
    Kelly502

Answer by Kelly502 at 4:32 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• It's NOT true, the only thing that cake would hurt would be your butt and hips lol. I didn't give up caffine or chocolate with either pregnancy. Only thing I completely gave up was smoking
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 4:43 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I agree with everyone else...your fine and so is your baby! Lots of people will give you their input and most of it isn't true! Your fine with caffeine just try to limit your intake each day. I always had a can of soda with both my pregnancies and they are normal healthy kids!
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 4:50 PM on Jul. 11, 2011